No-coat and Strait-flex on a roll

Old 02-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #1

No-coat and Strait-flex on a roll

I've always used vinyl corner bead and nailed it with 6d ringshank nails. I really like what I've read about No-coat and Strait-flex corner products. One thing I'm not sure about is whether the products on a roll are interchangeably with the precut pieces. I can't buy either brand locally and thought it will be easier to order the rolls.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #2

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Send a message via Skype™ to Whitey97

Re: No-coat and Strait-flex on a roll

was that a question or a statement? I'm not sure exactly where you're going
Old 02-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #3

Sorry, I reread it and agree with you

What I was trying to ask is this:

Is the No-coat and Straitflex on a roll equal in durability/strength to the precut pieces in 8-9-10' lengths?

I'm looking to replace standard vinyl corner bead with it for faster finishing, less mud and square corners.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #4

I use straight flex for all my off angles and have no problems with it, I don't have that much experience with no-coat, but why stray from a good thing
Old 02-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
The Happy Taper

Trade: The Happy Taper

I find strait-flex which its real name does not work as well as no-coat 325 You may ask why and what I find is that strait-flex is too stiff at the crease and has a tendency to not sit in the angle flat unless to take the extra time to fold it precisely to match the angle. Where no-coat 325 which is closely the same size folds nicely and once folded sits flat on both sides of the angle. It cost a bit more but much faster to install. But what I think the real question is (abaway) is asking is, does the roll of no-coat work as well as the ridged pre cut bead and what I'd have to say is yes and no. No as it cost more per. ft. and yes its just as strong also to concider 100 ft of no-coat takes up less space for transporting and shipping in your case.

Thats my .02c
Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #6

Trade: Drywall Contractor / Hanger

Stick with Trim-tex Adjustable inside corner 10' if you warranty your work, especially on 18' high vaults. Everything else is a call back waiting to happen. Also make hangers use X-crack behind the off angle. Fixed too many cracks using rolled crap. Yes those rolls take up less space, but do you want to do it only once? Have tried every roll product available and have had problems with all of it. Don't use Magic-Corner it has a rubber gasket and doesn't paint out right. Ask your supplier to order in for you, it comes from same co. as J-mold, etc. And I would not try to use two different products in the same joint.

If the joint is wavy, chalk-line it and prefill prior to installation.

Then I reread the original post and wonder if you're wanting to switch on your standard o/s bead. Don't try it as corners need that little "bulb" so you can fill out the flanges. Using a roll product here won't stand up and that's not its intended purpose. Have seen where someone has tried to paper tape an o/s corner (w/o corner bead) and it looks like hack work.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #7

Trade: Drywall Finishing

Tried No-coat 325 for the first time today and reckon it could be a goer. Need to get one of those corner rollers I think to get it really flat though. Only just been able to get it here in the UK. Expensive stuff!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #8

does the no-coat bead hold inner off angles better than straight flex? I'm kind of sick of the amount of work put into making straight flex straight and now you guys have me curious
Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
The Happy Taper

Trade: The Happy Taper

Just as I said above, the crease in strait-flex is too stiff. Try no-coat and you will see the diff.

Last edited by Mudstar; 02-27-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #10

Trade: Drywall Contractor / Hanger

You guys may get tired of me crowing about Trim-tex Adjustable inside corner but if you're having trouble with roll product, you gotta try it. It's only about .18 lf and it gives you an awesome line.