level 5

Old 11-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #1

Trade: drywall ,drywall finished sub-contractor

level 5

Hi is a question because I do 3 coats for level 5 always but another guy say "I put just 2 cuts" for level 5 is good ?

Last edited by marinerito; 11-19-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
The Drywall King!

Trade: Drywall Contractor - Frame-Finish

Re: level 5

Cuts = coats right?
People can say what they want to say, theres alot of BSers in the world, and alot of people talk **** all the time. 2 coats is considered a level 3 or less finish. You want to do a real good level 5 finish, I put 3-4 coats on my walls, sanded them, and then do a final skim coat over the entire wall. Sometimes I skim the entire wall twice. Then sand again.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:09 AM   #3

Trade: drywall ,drywall finished sub-contractor

ohh tks for you answer sorry for cuts'' sorry

jeje coats you information is really good
Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Demarco Drywall Taping

Trade: Drywall Finisher

dos teqilas por favor!!

Old 11-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #5

Trade: Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerito View Post
Hi is a question because I do 3 coats for level 5 always but another guy say "I put just 2 cuts" for level 5 is good ?
when a contractor gets smart enough to throw around terms like 'level 5' i just simply say "hey.....do you want a GOOD job....or not?"

all in all.....what i do (standard) is a level 4 finish. not quite technically so though....let me explain.

after taping, i have all my finishers do two coats on the seams with the box tool....then a third coat by hand, as a touch-up coat.

mandatory, i do 3 coats on the nails with a nail-spotter......and a 4th touch-up coat on any visible imperfections on the nails.

however, smooth wall jobs......requiring a level 5, i do everything mentioned above (with a little more extra care) then roll on a Hamilton prep coat.

that always seems to do the job on commercial projects im running.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #6

Trade: taper&jointer

my god , you blokes across the pond put a lot of mud on the joints by the sound of it
Old 11-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #7

Trade: drywall finishing contractor

See this link for definitions of level 1 to 5 taping finishes.
http://www.nationalgypsum.com/resour...evisiting.aspx

Hope this helps you.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #8

Trade: drywaller/taper/texturer

my application techniques are close to custom drywalls, but for a cadilac coat for people who are willing to pay for it i take out my mark5 and spray a coat of mud over entire wall surface drys like a orange peal but sands up quik for a true level 5 100% seamless and smooth
Old 12-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
Demarco Drywall Taping

Trade: Drywall Finisher

There is a little confusion i find when americans and canadians are refering to diferent levels of finishing. I sometimes dont understand alot of terminology talked about on this board sometime, but its great to read up on...In Toronto, we do a 3 coat system, tapers do not do any spraying or textures. Knockdowns are very rare, and Level 5? Skimming an entire wall is not heard of...residental and commerical has no problems with the 3 coat system and quality is close to 100%.
We are actually have a huge demand for the removal of old outdated and recent stucco, popcorn ceilings...
Old 12-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #10

Trade: Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMaster View Post
There is a little confusion i find when americans and canadians are refering to diferent levels of finishing. I sometimes dont understand alot of terminology talked about on this board sometime, but its great to read up on...In Toronto, we do a 3 coat system, tapers do not do any spraying or textures. Knockdowns are very rare, and Level 5? Skimming an entire wall is not heard of...residental and commerical has no problems with the 3 coat system and quality is close to 100%.
We are actually have a huge demand for the removal of old outdated and recent stucco, popcorn ceilings...

whatever you are doing is fine -- and standard practice (god hope so) among any respectable drywall company.

you are basically performing a level 4 finish...

level 5, if im not mistaken, is 3 coats + a skim coat. my method, when we have a job requiring level 5....is not to literally do a skim coat (i dont really get this either), but to roll on Hamilton prep coat....basically painting the walls white. once that dries and everything is one, level surface (the idea at least), ill have my guys go back with lights and do spot touch-ups thruout.

level 5 can be a pain in the ass...but if you do it right, theres a great amount of enjoyment in seeing the final product and how GOOD the walls/ceilings look. just be cautious of long hallways and unforgiving lighting conditions. 3 full coats with the nail-spotter, plus a spot hand touch-up is vital with level 5.

and if you own a drywall company, and need to BID a smooth wall, level 5 finish.....bid fairly high.

bottomline is, 70% of the time...with the process i described above, you can get it done for relatively cheap....and still make maximum profit....meaning, you didnt need to necessarily bid it so high in the first place...

BUUUUT..

the OTHER 30% of the time......your going to get the pickiest, most unreasonable, unpractical homeowner/builder/customer to pick your job apart...the type that will die if a pinhole sized air bubble 7 feet high is not covered -- all you guys know the types im talking about, hahhaa. this of course, turns the job to be very difficult and time consuming -- meaning that seemingly nice initial profit, is gone.....cause you may potentially need every bit of that to finish the job, and make the customer satisfied in the end.

anyways, level 5 is a tricky animal. every job is different, and cannot be treated the same as the last smooth wall job. each job has its own independent lighting conditions, environments, and uses. again, most smooth wall jobs you do will be fine, and run well......but its that small percentage of getting the smooth wall nazi customer from hell that can drain you -- financially as well as emotionally.

i simply never gamble, and bid high (or at least what i think is high for my area).

Last edited by Custom Drywall Svc.; 12-02-2011 at 12:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Custom Drywall Svc. For This Useful Post:
Field General (08-10-2011)