How much $$$$ to paint primer on ?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,490 Times in 2,487 Posts

How much $$$$ to paint primer on ?

I was wondering, If you really had to lower your standards, and a home owner asked if you could prime/paint .......what formula do you use to come up with your price?

#1. Do you charge so much a fiver/bucket of paint..... (how many sq ft of area will a 5'er cover) ball park figure $$ a 5'er

#2.Do you go by the area of the floor (whats mathematical formula to calculate amount of paint needed) ball park figure

#3.Do you charge by the sq ft , or by the sheet as some do (fairly sure when everyone speaks by sheet you mean 4x12........so twenty one sheets of 4x12 equals 1008 sq ft) ball park figure

lets just say......any house that is 4,000 sq ft (83 sheets) and over. Eight foot high ceilings.Everything to get painted,walls, ceilings, closets etc....There's nothing fancy in the house, just a straight forward house.

Painting method: keep it to nap roller, doing a back roll, no paint sprayer or power rollers involved,cut in with the brush on angles,You have your own tools and don't need to ask the H.O. to buy them for you, and use a GOOD primer. Just trying to keep everything to the k.i.s.s. method

I'm saying 4,000 sq ft (83 sheeps) b/c I'm sure that's where most guys start increasing their rates as they go down in sq ft/sheets, till you get to a point , where you charge by the hour. Or there's another question, whats your sq ft minimum, before you increase your rates. (as you go lower in square?)

Looking for which formula you guys use, not "I think it will take me this many hours ???" cr@p. A formula.....or maybe I'm missing another way to price the primer

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #2

Trade: Drywall
Thanked 1,016 Times in 597 Posts

Re: How much $$$$ to paint primer on ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2buckcanuck View Post
I was wondering, If you really had to lower your standards, and a home owner asked if you could prime/paint .......what formula do you use to come up with your price?

#1. Do you charge so much a fiver/bucket of paint..... (how many sq ft of area will a 5'er cover) ball park figure $$ a 5'er

#2.Do you go by the area of the floor (whats mathematical formula to calculate amount of paint needed) ball park figure

#3.Do you charge by the sq ft , or by the sheet as some do (fairly sure when everyone speaks by sheet you mean 4x12........so twenty one sheets of 4x12 equals 1008 sq ft) ball park figure

lets just say......any house that is 4,000 sq ft (83 sheets) and over. Eight foot high ceilings.Everything to get painted,walls, ceilings, closets etc....There's nothing fancy in the house, just a straight forward house.

Painting method: keep it to nap roller, doing a back roll, no paint sprayer or power rollers involved,cut in with the brush on angles,You have your own tools and don't need to ask the H.O. to buy them for you, and use a GOOD primer. Just trying to keep everything to the k.i.s.s. method

I'm saying 4,000 sq ft (83 sheeps) b/c I'm sure that's where most guys start increasing their rates as they go down in sq ft/sheets, till you get to a point , where you charge by the hour. Or there's another question, whats your sq ft minimum, before you increase your rates. (as you go lower in square?)

Looking for which formula you guys use, not "I think it will take me this many hours ???" cr@p. A formula.....or maybe I'm missing another way to price the primer
Your question is really confusing,,, like REALLY confusing.

Since i've had a few, I'll take a stab at it anyway. If I have done the drywall and they want it primed BEFORE trim is installed, I will prime it for .35 /ft (floor space) and provide the primer. I spray it on and backroll it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt-sheetrock For This Useful Post:
MeatBallDryWall (06-17-2011), moore (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #3

Trade: drywall installer and finisher
Thumbs up

Quote:

I just recently started priming after drywall. I charge by the sq. ft. same as hanging or finishing. I actually would really like to get away from hanging and just finish and prime. I'm getting between .19 to .23 cents per sq. ft. depending on contractor. That includes a good primer usually Sherwin Williams promar 200 or sheetrock first coat. unless they want oil. Spray and backroll.

Oh and don't forget to tell them they're buying new brushes when painting. Nice brushes not the cheap ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdwoodcox For This Useful Post:
2buckcanuck (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #4

Trade: Drywall and decorating
Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,027 Posts

Well im useless and cant help you at all, I guess the time and do and hr rate with materials and hope for the best, All the sq m rates drive me mad and its all different, And takes time, But here is one that i do and other painters do, then back cost, If its straight forward enough the then X the floor area by $40 per sm, then see how that feels.
The Following User Says Thank You to cazna For This Useful Post:
2buckcanuck (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
drywall slave

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Thanked 5,383 Times in 2,779 Posts

oh yeah ,, 4,000' of area . duh ..

Last edited by moore; 06-02-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: fd up.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt-sheetrock View Post
Your question is really confusing,,, like REALLY confusing.

Since i've had a few, I'll take a stab at it anyway. If I have done the drywall and they want it primed BEFORE trim is installed, I will prime it for .35 /ft (floor space) and provide the primer. I spray it on and backroll it.
but you still answered right

Ok, a set rate, a formula, not a hour rate, ill admit I get confusing sometimes

#1 so much a 5'er ( a painter told me that one)
#2 so much by the floor area
#3 so much by the drywall

And whats a fair rate for any of the above, labour only, no supply
Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Average Member

Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
You have your own tools and don't need to ask the H.O. to buy them for you
Aren't you tired of using the same roller cover for the past 5 years?

Last edited by SlimPickins; 06-02-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: I've got to quit being snarky
Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
The Happy Taper

Trade: The Happy Taper

5 bucks 5 bucks 5 bucks
Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
Aren't you tired of using the same roller cover for the past 5 years?

Paid for by "homeowners" and generates more work. (perhaps the only difference is that I tell them what I'm spending their money on.

Oh wait, are you thinking it wouldn't be a good idea to tell them that you're spending their money on hookers and crank?):
Don't know weather your joking or not but.......
one, I don't use a paint roller cover
two, none of their damn business what Ive done with their money after I've earned it.
And three, a person spending their money on hookers and crack, is going to ask if they can get some money to buy some tools, and not return
Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
Average Member

Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Don't know weather your joking or not but.......
one, I don't use a paint roller cover
two, none of their damn business what Ive done with their money after I've earned it.
And three, a person spending their money on hookers and crack, is going to ask if they can get some money to buy some tools, and not return
1. How do you roll paint on and not use a roller cover? Here, we call the cage the roller and the cover is the part that holds the paint and puts it on the wall

2. That's your business. I get a lot of money up front for materials

3. I do that all the time, but it seems like I'm not getting any more phone calls

Our prime guys usually charge $0.07-$0.10/ft...sprayed (but that's drywall primer, prep coat or something similar at $35/ 5 gal. (which includes masking materials and labor to mask.) So let's use a 5000 sq. ft. job as an example, at $0.10, and assuming 1 gallon covers 300 ft.

5000/300=16 gallons = 4 5 gal. buckets = $140
roll of plastic = $30.00
2 rolls tape = $12.00
Labor to mask = 1 hr
Labor to prime (no backroll) 3 hrs

$140 + $30 + $12 = $182
Total labor = 4 hrs.
Price for job = $500
Total money made after materials = $318
Hourly rate = $79.50

So even if you had a helper to backroll, and you rented an airless at $65/ day you'd still be making $31 (and change...and IF your helper made equal wage) per hour. Although, then you've introduced clean-up time on the machine, and rental/return.

Then again, I'm probably full of sh!t and all the real professionals will laugh at me. But, at least it's a starting point.
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimPickins For This Useful Post:
2buckcanuck (06-02-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:49 AM   #11
Just doing my job.

Trade: Taper

Nobody wants to pay a taper to prime. Seriously. If you get 200 bucks extra to prime it out, be happy.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelation View Post
Nobody wants to pay a taper to prime. Seriously. If you get 200 bucks extra to prime it out, be happy.
Actually alot of people want to pay me to prime. Actually that is how most of the big commercial/industrial company's around here want it.

What is the deal with wanting to be happy working for free, is that normal where you're at? We have guys like that around here everyone knows they do sh!t work and get sh!t pay. I could never be happy being one of those guys.

Last edited by cdwoodcox; 06-03-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #13

A lot of my customers ask me to prime .Once your in the door and they see how much progress Ive done and how good it looks they want me to keep going.So years ago i bought a graco 390 and it pays for itself really quickly.I make quicker money spraying and back rolling primer than taping.So now I usually ask if they want it primed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drywaller For This Useful Post:
Capt-sheetrock (06-04-2011), chris (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
Super Moderator

There is good money in priming, and yes most homeowners ask for this to be done if they are going to do their own finish painting. I have several GC that always want this included in their price as well. Pricing out a job no less than .22 per sq. ft of wallboard that is a given. If you are only charging .08-.10 and using some cheap primmer that only costs $35.00 per 5 Gal is nuts in my mind. Might as well smear some white wash on the walls and call it good. Promar 200 or even 400 is good primmer as well as sherwin williams contractors primmer which runs around $70 per five gallon works good. I wont go into details on what a person can make because I really don't want to tip off non drywall contractors and homeowners into nickel and dime us any more than they already do. That .22 per ft is sprayed and back-rolled, the brush sanding is not included.

Last edited by silverstilts; 06-03-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
Mudder Lover

Trade: drywaller - do it all but prefer to be a finisher

I agree with Bevelation - In BC the drywallers do the drywalling and the painters do the painting.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #16

Trade: contractor

2buck all those methods of charging goes basically by the job.. If there is alot of sq ftage ,then you can charge by the sq ft of sheetrock, and lower your price some for competivie reasons and get some extra work ontop of the finishing. Charge by the bucket if it is a midsize easy job. floor footage, only on remodles and repaints. This makes it more appealing to the customers. Instead of saying "well mame I gotta charge you out the sheeps azz for this job due to all the masking off I'll have to do".
Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #17

Trade: painting and basic drywall repair

Just for primer before trim I would think about 30 cents but really paint is my thing and drywall is another guys thing, I would be a little sceptical to take on a job where the priming is done. I spray my trim so a primer around the trim would be useless after the overspray.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #18

Trade: Drywall and decorating
Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Just for primer before trim I would think about 30 cents but really paint is my thing and drywall is another guys thing, I would be a little sceptical to take on a job where the priming is done. I spray my trim so a primer around the trim would be useless after the overspray.
Are you using HVLP or airless on the trim worky?? I use a HVLP Wagner F8000 for finish coats with a 3 proset, and prime with airless 212 tip.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
I know where you're coming from. Their was a paint company around here a few years back advertising texture I was like what the hell are they trying to take my work for. But the painters around here kill me when they prime I think they cut primer 50% and then still try and get double the sq. ft. per gallon. So in my opinion they want to give me the work or they would atleast put forth effort.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #20
I make love to my walls

Trade: Knife and trowel taper mainly but recently started with a tube and mudrunner with some angle heads.

Good post 2buck. I prime 90% of my work and also agree that for the amount of time it takes...it's more profitable than taping. I spray sherwin Williams master hide flat through a graco. I do 2 coats on the ceiling finished and one on the walls and sand the walls lightly with 220 after. I charge .30 ft on an average house. Usually by the time my helper is done wrapping the windows and loading up the truck I'm just about done spraying. Fast money eapecially when your not making a special trip to do it.....you had to go there anyway to sand and touch up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arey85 For This Useful Post:
Capt-sheetrock (06-04-2011)

Tags
priming, wall painting