Flush baseboard detail - Drywall Finishing - Drywall Talk

Flush baseboard detail

Old 05-24-2018, 12:08 AM   #1

Trade: remodeling

Flush baseboard detail

Will this work? Planning a new project and there will be no baseboards on walls. Rather than leaving a reglet reveal at the floor, or taking the drywall right down to the floor, I am considering a new application (for me).

The plan is to hang the bottom course of drywall about 4-5 inches above the subfloor (concrete) using spacer blocks. Drywall the ceilings then walls as usual. Later, install the tile flooring up to the stud walls. Then, come in and install 1/2" MDF base in the gap over the tile floor and up to the bottom course of drywall. The MDF base will have a wide chamfer to match the taper of the drywall. Tape and mud that interface.

If this detail works as planned, the modern style wall will have the durability of having a flush baseboard and the baseboard will not be visible once the wall is painted.

Here are a couple pictures of a small prototype wall. Will this work and last? Any potential problems?

Comments appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Senior DB Member

Trade: Gyprocker
Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,762 Posts

Re: Flush baseboard detail

I have successfully taped drywall to MDF so there is no issue there. The only thing that concerns me is that you have zero room for expansion and contraction and could have potential issues down the track leading to cracks.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:26 PM   #3

Yes, I was concerned about that potential issue, but have had no experience with this particular detail. So, I did a little research about the expansion and contraction of MDF and drywall. Drywall is sufficiently stable. MDF moves less than natural wood, but it will move with significant temperature and humidity changes, about .3 to .5 percent. Searching the web, I found a couple of references to taping MDF to drywall, one recommended installing backing so the fasteners for the MDF and drywall seam would be secured into the same piece of lumber. The other reference recommended beveling the MDF for the tape and mud, but no warning of movement or potential cracking.

In Arizona, we generally have low humidity, and the temperature inside most homes with air conditioning would normally be held to 65-80 F approx. Perhaps movement between these two materials would not cause a serious issue, more thinking and thoughts would be helpful. I emailed this question to USG technical, but no response, yet.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:42 AM   #4

Response from USG:

"We do not have a recommendation for an application like you have described. Or applying tape and mud to MDF.

Best regards,
Doug Schroeder
usg4you@usg.com
1-800-USG-4You"

Time to look for a plan B.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:50 AM   #5

Trade: "A smart man learns from his mistakes; a wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

we tape drywall to MDF on each job.....actually when we do aluminium doors or inside windows for 99% of them reveal is made of MDF.....with that answer USG just covers its back... everything is about insurance... and now for ex you can't take them to court .....now the ball is in your court
Old 05-31-2018, 10:12 PM   #6

If anyone is interested: Fry Reglet has a beautiful solution, but at $9.00 a linear foot , it will significantly test most budgets.

The L Bead is economical, if you can sacrifice some protection at the base.
Attached Thumbnails
Flush baseboard detail-flush-base-reglet.jpg  

Tags
baseboard