Flex Edge Sander, who has one?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #1

Trade: taper

Flex Edge Sander, who has one?

I've read the post on 'Finish Sanding' and did a search with no other results on 'Flex Edge', so i'm posting this.

I'm very hesitant to switch from my standard super sander/pole sander with Johnsons Abrasives paper to a sander (Flex Edge) that uses a proprietary paper.

How many sheets of 150 does it take you to do your average size 3bd house? Does it flip less than a super sander, because i don't find it flips much to begin with, if you angle it right.

I'm not getting a 360. the thought of having to sand a room with one sander and then sand the angles with another sander bothers me to no end.

so you guys with a flex edge, what's your opinion? is it gathering dust in your shed? Thank you!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 AM   #2

Trade: finishing

Re: Flex Edge Sander, who has one?

150 huh...
Old 01-30-2010, 03:56 AM   #3

Trade: Drywall Finisher

Flex edge is the only sanding pole IMO. I don't know exactly what a super sander is but the flex edge almost never rolls. Depending on how much you're sanding you should be able to get through a house on one piece of paper. I use the medium grit with the foam attached to it. Works great for rough and finish sand.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Trade: Drywall Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDusty View Post
I've read the post on 'Finish Sanding' and did a search with no other results on 'Flex Edge', so i'm posting this.

I'm very hesitant to switch from my standard super sander/pole sander with Johnsons Abrasives paper to a sander (Flex Edge) that uses a proprietary paper.

How many sheets of 150 does it take you to do your average size 3bd house? Does it flip less than a super sander, because i don't find it flips much to begin with, if you angle it right.

I'm not getting a 360. the thought of having to sand a room with one sander and then sand the angles with another sander bothers me to no end.

so you guys with a flex edge, what's your opinion? is it gathering dust in your shed? Thank you!
Sounds like you only pole sand what about the detailed sanding ? Do you not do it with a sponge ? No matter how good you are with a sanding stick it is still important to fine tune it .
Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #5

Trade: Drywall Finishing

Sanding pole! Do people still use them?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #6

oooooh i go around the whole house with a light and a sponge after pole sanding.

i would use 120 grit but it seems they only make 100, 150, 220.

shut up TonyM, you UK people don't know jack.

thanks Taped Crusader, appreciated.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
oooooh i go around the whole house with a light and a sponge after pole sanding.

i would use 120 grit but it seems they only make 100, 150, 220.

shut up TonyM, you UK people don't know jack.

thanks Taped Crusader, appreciated.

I didn't lower myself to take part in the other UK vs the US slanging match thread, but you Mr dusty can F Uck right off!

Last edited by TonyM; 01-30-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Sanding pole! Do people still use them?
i started a thread topic about 'Flex Edge Sander' and you pipe up with this stupid comment. why would you even waste your time posting that in the first place. i'm not TRYING to be a prick, it just comes naturally. but if you wanna slag on pole sanders then start a new thread explaining why.

Last edited by McDusty; 01-30-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
i started a thread topic about 'Flex Edge Sander' and you pipe up with this stupid comment. why would you even waste your time posting that in the first place. i'm not TRYING to be a prick, it just comes naturally. but if you wanna slag on pole sanders then start a new thread explaining why.
Most companies here now insist on machine sanding for H&S reasons. I don't actually know any tapers that don't machine sand.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
The Drywall King!

Trade: Drywall Contractor - Frame-Finish

I use ALL types of sander-

Typical job=

Portercable 150 sand, following by regular pole sanding with 150 and sponges on corners

Also use the Black Widow, which is very simular to the flex-edge, except its bigger. The black widow, 360 , and flex-edge all give you a sanding job like you where using a sponge. IMO, they all do the job good, but it depends what you want to use it for. The flex-edge is great for screws and angles, but the 360 or the black widow are better for joints and cornerbeads, because it covers more sanding, meaning you get it done faster. Also, pole sanding it good for getting edges sanded down in joints, etc. They all work great. No number 1 prefence really.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #11

I went out and bought a flex edge today, a job i'm doing is on the way so i stopped in and tested it out briefly...

when sanding the angles, if you run the Flex Edge straight down the angle without the sander tilted to the side, it will make a huge scratch/ditch in the beveled joint when you pass over it. i expect a small scratch, but this was huge.

it is saturday so i didn't stick around much to play with it, i'll have a better review on it when i get to sanding this house.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #12

Trade: Drywall hanger/finisher

So if you'd use the power sander first you wouldn't have so much fine tune sanding.... Kinda like Tony said in a differnt language.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 AM   #13

Yea, sorry about that. Sometimes I speak with forked tongue. I can't resist a good western movie, and it obviously rubs off on me. IMO you can't beat a good old John Wayne, Audie Murphy, Burt Lancaster or Richard Widmark film.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #14

Trade: decorator

Power sanders like the rotoblast,flex,giraffe etc do the hard work and with a vac attached it's a better working enviroment.poles and sponges are for finishing it off.
I'm based in the UK as well BTW,I use the power sanders for all kinds of wall prep,clients love seeing the power sander and virtually no dust.

Anyway in the end it all gets the same results just that a power sander will get you there quicker so you make more money.

I don't think there is a debate wether pole sanding is better than power sanding as both will have their followers.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #15

Trade: Drywall contractor

IMO, if you need to use a power sander,you need to find another profession.
I use the flex edge & 360.
360 in all the open areas & flex in the corners with the sponge.Then it gets fine tuned with a hand sponge.All I can say is its flawless & never "flops"over on me.It saved us thousands so far.Your doing something wrong if its gouging the corners.IMO
1 sheet of 150 paper gets us through several house if you don't hit anything cept the drywall.
I prefer 220 on the 360 for the final sand.
If you put it on correctly,little sanding is needed,IMO.
A professional painter will sand the entire job prior to priming anyways,but we like to leave them a crisp job.Well they do here @ least
Old 03-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #16

Trade: 25 YRS EXPERIENCE-HANGING-FINISHING-METAL FRAMING-ACCOUSTICAL CEILINGS

[quote=Final touch drywall;11491]IMO, if you need to use a power sander,you need to find another profession.

That's an interesting statement?!?!? What makes you say that?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #17

Trade: drywall

I've tried the 360 and the Flex-Edge. I like limiting how many tools and consumables I carry so I eventually tossed the Flex-Edge as there wasn't any significant benefit. I pole sand with my 360(without pad) and 150grit after my 2nd coat and only bother pole sanding the ceilings after 3rd coat since I need to light and sponge sand it anyways. I've got a second 360 where I replaced the swivel assembly with a handle off a grout float. I use that to light and sponge sand(with pad and 180grit) - love this setup for ergonomics, coverage, and control. For the corners I use old 360 papers folded in half mounted on those really big corner sponges to quickly square them up and then use a dual angle sponge to tune 'em in.

I'd love to try a power sander one day but don't see how it could ever replace hand sanding for final.

D'S

Last edited by D's; 03-30-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:44 AM   #18

I'd love to try a power sander one day but don't see how it could ever replace hand sanding for final.

D'S[/quote]

If you invest in the power sander don't go into in thinking it will eliminate detail sanding in the end. It will greatly reduce the amount you have to do in the end by hand. If you run the angle tools (correctly) the amount of time you spend in the angles is nil. The only time I spend with paper in hand are the areas the machine will not go.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #19

Trade: Drywall contractor

[quote=FOR THOSE ABOUT;11506]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final touch drywall View Post
IMO, if you need to use a power sander,you need to find another profession.

That's an interesting statement?!?!? What makes you say that?
Put it on properly & there is no need to grind it all back off IMO.A light buffing is all that is needed when we leave the job.All the painters that follow us enjoy there job @ the end of the day.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #20

[quote=Final touch drywall;11520]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOR THOSE ABOUT View Post

Put it on properly & there is no need to grind it all back off IMO.A light buffing is all that is needed when we leave the job.All the painters that follow us enjoy there job @ the end of the day.
I agree...but power does not = grind. The PC does a cleaner, more efficient and faster job. Typical job...pole sanders come out to brush down the angles after taped and coated with tube or banjo followed by angle head. The PC comes out at the very end with very little detail sanding and on jobs where there happens to be more detail it frees up time to allow for that. I always prime my finished work and leave that sanded ready for the painters as well.