Fish eyes using angle head

Old 01-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #1

Trade: taper

Fish eyes using angle head

I recently switched from flushers to angle heads and I'm getting tiny fisheyes over the tapes in the angles, can anybody tell me why this might happen?
I use fibafuse wiping with a 3" columbia and finishing with a 2.5" north star on a box. It baffles me cause the mud just barely hides the tape and if anything i would like a bit more

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Mudder Lover

Trade: drywaller - do it all but prefer to be a finisher
Smile

Re: Fish eyes using angle head

How thick is the mud?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

Trade: Drywall stopper
Thanked 1,324 Times in 782 Posts

Angleheads do a lot tighter coat than flushers and should be very little to sand, how big are the fisheye's? if they are tiny could it be too thinner mud over F/fuse, when I tried F/fuse in the corners it responded well to a swipe with the pole sander, also watch for fibre's building up on the tip of the blades.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
FASTER THAN A MARE

Trade: Taper

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskataper View Post
I recently switched from flushers to angle heads and I'm getting tiny fisheyes over the tapes in the angles, can anybody tell me why this might happen?
I use fibafuse wiping with a 3" columbia and finishing with a 2.5" north star on a box. It baffles me cause the mud just barely hides the tape and if anything i would like a bit more

do you roll your angle,

the 3 col does it have direct flush with the extra tin, if so take the tin of and it leaves more mud for 1rst coat, the other is if mud is like water you get no coat over tapes,

try the other way around 2.5 1rst wipe and 3 for finish
Glue mud exposed with a topping shorter than gives you more glue to soak into your topping and 2 different surfaces for paint, you get glue soaking into the primer

just barely coats the tape is a good thing also, you get more of a non build angle.... my angles don't have alot of mud over first coat as long as they look wet, I don't have to sand my angles much first time either

Last edited by Bazooka-Joe; 01-21-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #5

Trade: Drywall and decorating
Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,028 Posts

I tryed 2buckarootas method of taping, wiping, then 10 box once, waiting 10mins, then ten box again, Holy crap did it fisheye pok to hell. That was using fibafuse. The open weave of it does that, Fuse needs more coats than just two for coverage, Use paper in corners, That will work better.

Get a mudrunner and bigger heads if you want more mud coverage.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #6

Trade: Tape and texture

fisheye? Must be a new drywall word i was,nt told about .If its bubbles or pock marks just add a little dish soap to your mud and wipe your worries away.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,490 Times in 2,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazna View Post
I tryed 2buckarootas method of taping, wiping, then 10 box once, waiting 10mins, then ten box again, Holy crap did it fisheye pok to hell. That was using fibafuse. The open weave of it does that, Fuse needs more coats than just two for coverage, Use paper in corners, That will work better.

Get a mudrunner and bigger heads if you want more mud coverage.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????? SO ??????????????????????????? Why??????????????? would???????????????? you??????????????????? use?????????????????? A ???????????????????????????? Product???????????????????? that???????????????? requires ?????????????????????????? more????????????????????????? coats

Plus,if I remember right, since I barely use hotmuds. Coating over your hotmud with AP mud, is about the same as coating over paint. You will get the same results. Try taping with AP mud, then try tracing your work. ...... But I know,,,,, with your tropical paradise weather, it will never dry
Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,490 Times in 2,487 Posts

Quote:
One I would use paper in the angles

two, try what Bazooka joe says

three, what type of mud you using (brand)
Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
drywall slave

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Thanked 5,383 Times in 2,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltex View Post
fisheye? Must be a new drywall word i was,nt told about .If its bubbles or pock marks just add a little dish soap to your mud and wipe your worries away.
Why should we have to add anything? The pocs are in the mud.
The factory should be the one adding something to make It right.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moore For This Useful Post:
Bazooka-Joe (01-24-2012), machinemud (01-22-2012), Mudshark (01-22-2012), mudslingr (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
Rock'n Hawk

Trade: taper/boarder
Thanked 1,210 Times in 548 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mudslingr

Quote:
I'll bet you're using Synko yellow ? That stuff can get pretty gummy which can cause fish eyes. Water it down some more especially if working in a hot or humid environment.
The Following User Says Thank You to mudslingr For This Useful Post:
taper71 (01-31-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #11

I'm mixing my mud a little thicker than i do for taping and the last job I used synko lite ap (light blue) thinking its a little harder so it will stand up better to the bigger smaller method of angles and I've started using a pc sander so a little harder should be better. The first job with the angle heads i went 2.5 then 3 with the same result, tiny little fish eyes.
I've been considering trying paper tape in the angles, but I'm reluctant as i tried it once and just got frustrated, I learned with fibafuse and paper is much harder to run in angles. You get almost no tape drag with fibafuse and it almost creases itself into the angles. That being said now that I think about it my taper was running like crap when i tried the paper.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
Wannabe Woodworker

Trade: Drywall Journeyman/ Master Craftsman
Thanked 1,204 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
I'm mixing my mud a little thicker than i do for taping and the last job I used synko lite ap (light blue) thinking its a little harder so it will stand up better to the bigger smaller method of angles and I've started using a pc sander so a little harder should be better. The first job with the angle heads i went 2.5 then 3 with the same result, tiny little fish eyes.
I've been considering trying paper tape in the angles, but I'm reluctant as i tried it once and just got frustrated, I learned with fibafuse and paper is much harder to run in angles. You get almost no tape drag with fibafuse and it almost creases itself into the angles. That being said now that I think about it my taper was running like crap when i tried the paper.
maybe a build up of dust in angle then coating over it. Or maybe the tape coat isnt dried completely. Sounds like a propane/kerosene heat source as that has been where Ive experienced that problem.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #13

nope i thought of the dust but its happened both when I've sanded before finishing angles and when i haven't, tape is definitely dry as its a couple days at least between running tapes and coating angles and its been either electric heat or existing forced air furnaces
Old 01-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
FASTER THAN A MARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2buckcanuck View Post
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????? SO ??????????????????????????? Why??????????????? would???????????????? you??????????????????? use?????????????????? A ???????????????????????????? Product???????????????????? that???????????????? requires ?????????????????????????? more????????????????????????? coats

Plus,if I remember right, since I barely use hotmuds. Coating over your hotmud with AP mud, is about the same as coating over paint. You will get the same results. Try taping with AP mud, then try tracing your work. ...... But I know,,,,, with your tropical paradise weather, it will never dry

talk about everyone having a different system,

Last edited by Bazooka-Joe; 01-22-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #15

Trade: drywall installer and finisher

Quote:
I have never used or even saw fiba so I am basically guessing. I might try adjustingng the bigger head so it covers tape and then adjust smaller head so it would basically skim over first coat that should fill any pinholes/fisheyes. If your anglehead is set right your edges shouldn't have any fish eyes to fill.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
FASTER THAN A MARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
I have never used or even saw fiba so I am basically guessing. I might try adjustingng the bigger head so it covers tape and then adjust smaller head so it would basically skim over first coat that should fill any pinholes/fisheyes. If your anglehead is set right your edges shouldn't have any fish eyes to fill.
tryed google'n it and could not find it is it Mesh?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #17

Trade: drywall installer and finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka-Joe View Post
I don't think it would even be possible to run an angle head over mesh would it. I would think it would just tear it out of the corner or at the very least cut it.

I think I have seen a pic in another post I think it looks like a real thin fiber infused white almost transparent cloth or paper.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #18

Trade: Drywall stopper
Thanked 1,324 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka-Joe View Post
Thats why I suggested ages ago that if it were up to me I would not have "Fiba" in the name because it's too easily confused with mesh, anyone I talk to about Fibafuse say... "is that the fibreglass mesh stuff", I would call it something like "strong bond" or "steel strand" etc, anything but "Fibafuse" coz it's too close to "Fibatape", I think they would sell a lot more of it if they re-branded it.....IMO anyway.
http://www.prlog.org/10350500-fibafu...r-drywall.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiwiman For This Useful Post:
2buckcanuck (01-22-2012), Bazooka-Joe (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #19

Trade: builder.drywaller.steelstuder.ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
I don't think it would even be possible to run an angle head over mesh would it. I would think it would just tear it out of the corner or at the very least cut it.

I think I have seen a pic in another post I think it looks like a real thin fiber infused white almost transparent cloth or paper.
Here are a few pic of fibafuse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (89.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (88.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (90.4 KB, 1 views)
Bazooka-Joe (01-22-2012), E.K Taper (01-23-2012), Kiwiman (01-22-2012), Mudshark (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
FASTER THAN A MARE

never seen it before was thinking it was something other than mesh tho

Tags
angle head, fibafuse