finishing in freezing weather

Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #1

Trade: hang and finish 30 yrs. exp. mostly residential

finishing in freezing weather

So, I've got to float(bed) a house. Long story short.....the temperature here will be in the upper twenties the morning following the float day. I use usg blue mud to float. I usually have to give it two days to dry. It won't be completely dry on the night/morning that the temp will be in the twenties. House is NOT heated. Question is: should i wait till the next day when temps will be in the mid to upper 30's. Needing some more input to ease my mind. Thanks guys.

p.s. I had a float freeze on a house once....wasn't pretty.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #2

Trade: Drywall

Re: finishing in freezing weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastex1963 View Post
So, I've got to float(bed) a house. Long story short.....the temperature here will be in the upper twenties the morning following the float day. I use usg blue mud to float. I usually have to give it two days to dry. It won't be completely dry on the night/morning that the temp will be in the twenties. House is NOT heated. Question is: should i wait till the next day when temps will be in the mid to upper 30's. Needing some more input to ease my mind. Thanks guys.

eastex....

man buddy i feel for you. im a drywall subcontractor and we're obviously facing the same challenges with this cold weather (20s - 40s), just like every year :P

hate it. KILLS my production.

anyways, its always a balancing act for me.......and riding the fine line of whether we should heat the house (cooking the drywall which i dont prefer) ourselves with heat fans, or just wait it out....

a portion of my business is dedicated to production homes...which have tight schedules of course and lower quality....so i dont have a choice BUT to heat the houses (close all windows, and move from room to room....pay someone 8 bucks an hour for the whole day to do this).

however, the main portion of my business is large, custom homes and small commercial buildings....and i basically tell the contractor that if they want a good job on a 1-3 million dollar home or office bldg....a weeks worth extra of drying time isnt gonna kill anyone...unless they want us to go back in 6 mos to a year (which i will charge them for if they dont want to wait a week more in drying).

so eastex, i dont think i was that much help......but theres literally nothing us drywall guys can do but explain this upfront to the client/builder. it's the nature of the beast, not really anything we can do.

although im sure there are users on here who think theyre drywall gods and will say otherwise.

anyways, on all my contracts and proposals, i always state that when our 'winter schedule' is in effect, we need at a minimum 48 hrs PER coat of necessary drying time. if in any case other than that, we are not responsible for anything under a 48 hour (or subcontractors discretion only) time frame. and any decent drywall contractor is going to do a level 4.......as in three separate coats.

roughly, what i find has worked.......is tell the customer/builder that one week per 1000 sf of floor footage is needed.

for example, i just finished a 5000 sf house.....so that equals 5 weeks........theoretically 1 week hanging......2 weeks finishing.......1 week texture....1 week miscellaneous.

this always seems to work for me......although 60% of the time, you will get done sooner than what i described above. but if you state it out ahead of time, it always protects you.....i KNOW a 5000 sf house, i can get done (even in this winter schedule) within 3.5 weeks, but i'll always buy myself as much time as possible, because its construction and ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

a job that takes me 2 days, i'll tell the contractor 7 days -- JUST to be safe.

again, i know i wasnt that much help as far as drying times.....but its just the way the ball rolls with drywall.

:P

good luck man.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #3

Trade: Professional Drywall Finishers also company owners

at least 55degrees or no mud/tape goes on the way, no heater, no work. Simple, One way to do it, the right way. Floating and it freezing before it dries=uh oh
Old 12-20-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
Just doing my job.

Trade: Taper

^ Agreed.
Nothing sucks more than cold weather and insufficient heat.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
BazookaJoe

Trade: finishing
Send a message via Yahoo to joe soboleski

Point blank!You can't finish in temp. lower than 32f.Its simple physics,unless your going for the frezze dryed look.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe soboleski For This Useful Post:
Mudshark (11-18-2011)
Old 12-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #6

Trade: 25 YRS EXPERIENCE-HANGING-FINISHING-METAL FRAMING-ACCOUSTICAL CEILINGS

http://www.bpb-na.com/us/english/fin...t Compound.pdf
Old 12-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #7

Trade: Drywall hanger/finisher

If they can't heat the house, I don't do the job. No more questions. I will furnish an electric furnace and hook it up if the gas company hasn't come. But they have to have permanent heat when I leave. It will ruin the house if it is under fifty degrees in there. Some contractors are tight wads. I get tired of this argument. I don't work for those guys anymore. It gets cold every year about this time. They have to have heat in every house sooner or later. What in the world do they expect?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim0282 For This Useful Post:
Mudshark (11-18-2011)
Old 12-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #8

Trade: Drywall Contractor / Hanger

Matter should be between drywall contractor & GC/Builder. Shouldn't be your problem, but don,t put on the mud w/o heat in place, temp or otherwise
Old 12-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim0282 View Post
If they can't heat the house, I don't do the job. No more questions. I will furnish an electric furnace and hook it up if the gas company hasn't come. But they have to have permanent heat when I leave. It will ruin the house if it is under fifty degrees in there. Some contractors are tight wads. I get tired of this argument. I don't work for those guys anymore. It gets cold every year about this time. They have to have heat in every house sooner or later. What in the world do they expect?
Exactly.

Heat, (or at least a constant temperature) is VERY important not to just wallboard and mud compound, but more importantly to the wood lumber -- of course im talking about structures such as homes. this doesnt apply to tiny patchjobs of course.

Tim is exactly right ...and this is the problem my company is dealing with right now, at this very moment.

WOOD FRAMING WILL EXPAND AND CONTRACT WITH CHANGES IN TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY. DEPENDING ON THE TIME OF THE YEAR, WOOD DRIES OUT, SHRINKS, OR ABSORBS MOISTURE AND EXPANDS. THIS CAN LEAD TO AN ASSORTMANT OF DRYWALL ISSUES SUCH AS NAIL POPS, CENTERLINE CRACKING, VISIBLE JOINTS AND RIDGING.

bottomline, generals (and homeowners) NEED to be more educated when it comes to drywall and lumber.

Im sick of sounding like im making excuses for my company, when the problem is not our workmanship, but the lumber expanding and contracting due to weather extremities.

ive now put an addendum on my contracts that the owner/builder has to sign making them aware of the issue -- and that if they dont provide the proper heating and temperature control, that cracking MAY occur in the future. this addendum relieves me from hearing the general or owner on my back for 'taking forever' on the drywall. i put that in extreme weather under 50 degrees, EACH COAT has to allow at a MINIMUM 48 hrs to dry and that a constant temperature of 60-65 degrees at least is recommended throughout the house, BEFORE and AFTER drywall is installed.

EDUCATE yourself and others. us drywall guys NEED to stick together.

http://www.gypsum.org/pdf/236-2000b.pdf

http://www.hamiltonmaterials.com/CrackingInfo/PDF/CenterlineCeilingCracking.pdf

http://www.wconline.com/CDA/Archive/b367f464b7768010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0

these articles are gold. you guys will either already know about these issues, or may be new to it.......eitherway, EDUCATE yourself more, and pass these around.

as a drywall subcontractor, im getting SICK of being blamed for issues that are out of our control.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #10

Amen Brother!! Preach it!
It does wear a person down. Always at the beginning of the winter.
I tell them the house has to maintain at least 60 degrees for at least 30 days
after I am done. This allows some time for the paint to cure also. Read the can, it says 30 days to cure paint. Same goes for drywall mud. Let's see, pay 300.00 for some heat and keep from ruining a 10,000.00 drywall job. Sort of a toss up, I know.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim0282 View Post
Amen Brother!! Preach it!
It does wear a person down. Always at the beginning of the winter.
I tell them the house has to maintain at least 60 degrees for at least 30 days
after I am done. This allows some time for the paint to cure also. Read the can, it says 30 days to cure paint. Same goes for drywall mud. Let's see, pay 300.00 for some heat and keep from ruining a 10,000.00 drywall job. Sort of a toss up, I know.

SERIOUSLY!!!!

READ the freakin box and manufacturer recomendations people! manufacturers don't put critical information on their products because it makes them feel good! they do it to PROTECT themselves.....just as us drywall subcontractors have to do also! Theres a rhyme and reason for everything people.

Again, tim is absolutely right.....the cost of heating the house is NOTHING compared to the future problems the owner/contractor may have.

i HATE HATE HATE this time of year because of all the hassle we have to deal with...its almost not worth it.

again, the best you can do is educate builders and homeowners. bottomline.

production homes, i dont have as much trouble, because thats what it is......a 'production home'......central heating/air gets into the house pretty quick because of production.....

but man, we all know custom homes can sit there on a lot framed for nearly 6 mos to an entire year easily.....exposed to all sorts of extremities.

EDUCATE!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #12

Trade: 25 YRS EXPERIENCE-HANGING-FINISHING-METAL FRAMING-ACCOUSTICAL CEILINGS

I left a thermometer on top of a bucket of primer/surfacer(with the instructions facing whomever had to read the temp) the room was 39 F...not to mention the drafts from the windows he had removed the hardware from (he being the carpenter) who is trying to supplement his income/helper by spraying doors and trim. I walked (that day) couldn't paint. I got blasphemed six ways from Sunday come the next day. You can send a JackAss to college but he is still going to crap in the street. I am basically beating a dead horse here because there are guys who will do it (wrong) and the mud will crack and then what? Drywaller I may be but I am not exempt of integity. Besides just because they did it wrong for 20 years does that make it right? Jenn

Last edited by FOR THOSE ABOUT; 01-06-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #13

Trade: Drywall-Plaster Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&SDRYWALL View Post
at least 55degrees or no mud/tape goes on the way, no heater, no work. Simple, One way to do it, the right way. Floating and it freezing before it dries=uh oh
I agree when in doubt read the fine print or the bold instructions on the box theyre ya greesy green burrito.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:27 AM   #14

Trade: Drywall-Plaster Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastex1963 View Post

Ya seem like a smart guy, try putting atifreeze in place of water. Maybe it wont freeze. JK
Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #15

umm that's ok...think i'll pass on the anti-freeze....ur joking, right?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #16

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Send a message via Skype™ to Whitey97

obviously he's joking. Just use a couple space heaters such as the ones shown in other threads. make sure the doors are shut up tight and hope the house isn't too drafty. We do that up nort here in the spring and fall. when there isn't much for other sources of heat. Believe me, they take the temp furnaces out as soon as they can, cheap fockers!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #17

oh, btw, finished the house.....didn't float the day before a hard freeze. I don't think i mentioned that the house was hung by the homeowner....BIG mistake... He didn't stagger ANY joints and had racked butt joints. Meaning the butts weren't tight. 3/4 to nothing cracks. There were 5 butts that were literally 28 feet long........sheesh. I told him he was gonna have trouble outta those later...settling, movement...etc. Sure enough, one puckered three weeks after I finished. I went back and fixed it. Told him I wasn't coming back again for free. He hasn't called back. Been a month or so now. We'll see. I would have gotten back here sooner, but forgot my damned password...lol. Been too busy and tired to search for it till today...Ha.

Also, I know there are alot of other threads on this topic. But, work is starting to pick back up a little here in East Texas. Hope it stays that way...wishful thinkin maybe.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #18

Gotta love those DIYers, don't ya?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 AM   #19

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Send a message via Skype™ to Whitey97

Oh please, I can't wait till I get one of those jobs this year. Wait... I just did one! lol

A guys called me on a garage to finish, his woodshop. Told me he had ran all of the tape. All I had to do was finish it. I show up, and the tape was ran dry. So I fixed as much as possible, being I was paid hourly to do it. Finished it up. Told me how great it looked and how fast I was blah blah blah... you know the drill, I'm sure you've all heard it. Anyways, He called me a couple days ago. "hey there bud, I have some cracks in the drywall, can you come fix it? (for free)" my answer, "nope, but I'll charge you hourly" haven't heard anything back yet. lol
Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #20

Were you able to sleep after you told him you would charge him to fix the cracks???