durabond

Old 09-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #1

Trade: drywall finishing

durabond

can you mix durabond 20,45,90 in 5 gal bucket all at once, so you can take a bucket at a time out of there then put lid back on ????

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #2

Trade: Drywall Contractor / Hanger

Re: durabond

You can mix it up in a bucket, but it will set up in the prescribed time. So, no, you cannot mix it, then store it for later use. That is why it comes in dry form, to be mixed when and as needed.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
The Happy Taper

Trade: The Happy Taper

Durabond is not for finishing drywall riley. There is no benefit to use it period.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Trade: Drywall Contractor

I usually wont use the stuff unless i need to make a sizable fill such as this week had to have one of my guys do a infill where a 4x4 area of old plaster was removed over existing brick... I would have loved to glue in some 1/4" rock first but could not find any and the repair was an old school , which the architect and historians would not allow ( stupid but that's the way it was ) Had to be original , I could have used plaster but didn't want to mess dragging all the stuff up to the third floor just use good ol durabond done and about $1100.00 in my pocket for a couple of hours... I wish I had about a dozen jobs like that every week...
Old 09-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #5

why is my durabond getting hard in my muding bucket in about 7 mins
Old 09-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley View Post
There can be a couple of reasons on is do you clean your bucket completely before mixing a new batch if any is left in there including the water you uses to clean with it will act as a catalyst and speed up the setting reaction time , is your mixing paddle clean ? is your pan and knife clean all these can be factors in speeding up the set up time if you don't remove all the set up mud from them , also sometimes it just depends on the water you are using some water can be hard or soft this will also have an impact , I have found sometime event the humidity can mess with ya , speaking of mixing more than one pail i guess if you mix some 90 then 45 then 20 go ahead just use them in the reverse order don't see why that wouldn't work.. but is it really worth the headache ????
Old 09-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #7

Trade: Drywall Contractor / Hanger

Using warm or hot water also speeds up setting times. But Silver is right, clean tools and clean cool water. Have also gotten some that just plain has too much plaster of Paris in it and it goes off too fast.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:56 AM   #8

Trade: Drywall stopper
Thanked 1,328 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley View Post
You might be mixing it for 13 minutes.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren@Partners View Post
Using warm or hot water also speeds up setting times. But Silver is right, clean tools and clean cool water. Have also gotten some that just plain has too much plaster of Paris in it and it goes off too fast.
Thanks The mud did find the first 4 buckets then went to crap. i clean my tools not as shiny as glass but clean, my water is soft water and i was using warm water thanks all for the help
Old 09-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #10

Thanks The mud did find the first 4 buckets then went to crap. i clean my tools not as shiny as glass but clean, my water is soft water and i was using warm water thanks all for the help
Old 09-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #11

could it be be the speed of the mixing with my drill
Old 09-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Whitey97

not likely. everything is a factor though. you're going to get the most time out of it if your water is cold though, not warm.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #13

Trade: Residential & Commercial Drywall, Doublewides, Remodeling

These guys pretty much covered it. It can pretty much only be, Water temp., dirty water or tools, or your taking to long to mix. On my jobs I have 2 full water buckets. I use one bucket to provide water to make my hot mud till it gets dirty, then I use that bucket for cleaning only and use the fresh water to make my mud. I think you answered your own question, you said the first few buckets were fine. I assume you started with clean water and it got dirty.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #14

same water for each bucket clean water. But it think its cleaniness, my bucket clean but not shiny same with my knife
Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #15

Trade: Residential & Commercial Drywall, Doublewides, Remodeling

After you mix are you swooshin your mixer to clean it off. I think most everything was covered. Maybe just go to the next setting time.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #16
The Drywall King!

Trade: Drywall Contractor - Frame-Finish

Riley,

Try using some 45 or 90 and mix it with reg. compound. 20 min is not really meant for mixing in a bucket. I mix batches of 45 with compound all the time, so it allows me to coat cornerbeads twice in 1 day.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #17

Trade: drywall and framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepro0000 View Post
Riley,

Try using some 45 or 90 and mix it with reg. compound. 20 min is not really meant for mixing in a bucket. I mix batches of 45 with compound all the time, so it allows me to coat cornerbeads twice in 1 day.

how much of the bag of 45 do you mix to a box of regular? about how much work time does it give you to the batch? have you ever taped with it so that you can coat it the same day?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #18
The Drywall King!

You can mix whatever, I usually throw in 2-3 scoops of mud in a bucket with my #5, then add water, put in almost half a bag of 45, mix it, then add about 6-7 more scoops of mud and continue mixing. The result, is the durabond is smooth like compound, and dries with-in 1-2 hrs on cornerbeads.

I always tape with reg. mud, and using a bazooka, the thin'd out mud dries quickly, with-in an hour or two, and we put the first bed coat with the boxes. I never done a job where I could not bed the 1st coat because the tape was still wet.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #19
The Drywall King!

Depending on the weather and the hotness, the average we can get a full bucket of 45 with mud mixed in for about 30-35 minutes before it hardens up. Make sure the lid is always on. Sometimes longer, haven't really timed it, but I know we always use up all the mud before it dries. Hardly ever has it dried up on us in the bucket.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #20

this is cool all the ideas we coming up with thay are great. this is the first time i used durabond 20 it worked well for about 4 mud buckets then i couldn't keep up with the mud i guess. it work great for all my tape joints it was fast dry so i could put second coat on.