drying conditions

Old 07-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #1

Trade: finisher

drying conditions

How do you guy's get things to dry.It's been raining here for two weeks and high humidy.We use fans,but it doesn't dry.Whitey said in one post that what he coated today woul'd be dry the next day.Is whitey working in perfect conditions.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #2

Trade: drywall installs

Re: drying conditions

Tape and coat with duradond in those conditions. Either that or mix some 45 or 90 in with your mud when you loosen it up.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #3

Trade: Taper

I use 240v electric heaters and fans, I have them on 30' lines so I can move them from room to room through out the day. Combined with fans they really work well.http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_21340_21340

Last edited by mudslingercor; 07-03-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
The Happy Taper

Trade: The Happy Taper

Close the windows and run a dehumidifier.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdaddy View Post
Tape and coat with duradond in those conditions. Either that or mix some 45 or 90 in with your mud when you loosen it up.
we use bond for taping and first coat.It's a matter of the finish coat on the angles and three ways. It gives you extra time to do other things.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslingercor View Post
I use 240v electric heaters and fans, I have them on 30' lines so I can move them from room to room through out the day. Combined with fans they really work well.http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_21340_21340
How it's going in the west.We have access to heat but when the boy's see you going with heaters they think about going home.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #7

It's going, but at a lower price. Still F#@*ing expensive to live here. Residential is very slow, many projects have been halted and prices renigotated. The houses we do are in a big rush hurry. Totally unrealistic time lines. So basicly rush then wait wait... Rush.. I hope it gets better or I'll be going into a new feild of work. The heaters are a must for getting thing done fast. It does suck working in the Hot conditions but "Suck it up buttercup" or "Think of Jamacia" Is what I repeat over and over.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #8

Trade: drywall

For the last 2 years I've been 1st coating and setting bead solely with 90min setting compound for that reason and had good results. You can also insist the GC/Owner provides heat and ventilation. Suggest they rent 240v heaters that get wired into the dryer and oven. The best part is that joints don't start cupping down the track because they were sanded before fully dried.

D's
Old 07-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #9

Trade: Drywall hanger/finisher

You guys are realling hooking up heaters this time of year to dry mud? Dehumudifiers work wonders with the already high temps. I pit mine on a five gallon bucket so I can move it around and get a little more collection. The two gallon tanks fill up pretty fast in this heat and humidity.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #10

Trade: Drywall Contractor / Hanger

Tim, what do those dehu's cost? Only used them once and made the GC go rent 'em.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #11

[quote=Tim0282;5648]You guys are realling hooking up heaters this time of year to dry mud?
Yep, Esp in basements most of our builders have them also so I'll have 4 or 5 in a big house. Perfect for days like today, Rain expected high humidity and a deadline.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
The Happy Taper

Trade: The Happy Taper

dehumidifiers work better, use less power Just saying...................
Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #13

Mudstar, agree 100% dehumidifiers take the moisture out of the air therfore taking the water out of the mud, its not rocket science.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren@Partners View Post
Tim, what do those dehu's cost? Only used them once and made the GC go rent 'em.
Darren I have two of the Dri-Eaz LGR 2000. They are a great machine. One will absolutely change a house humidity level.
They are a bit pricey, though.

http://www.sylvane.com/dri-eaz-dehumidifier.html
Old 07-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #15

Trade: drywaller/taper/texturer

those machines look like the real deal, how long have you had em tim, do they require alot of maintanance and upkeep.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #16

I have had one for a little over a year and it has five thousand hours on it. They have an hour meter on them. Restoration people charge by the hour. So you could charge the contractor. I don't, but... My bad. I should. I am the one who bought the blasted thing and haul it around. Oops, I got carried away there for a second. I just bought the other one last week.
You also asked about maintenance. I have only blown the filter off regularly and once cleaned the pump out. Less than five minutes total. The pump got a little drywall dust in it and would pump very good. Don't know where the dust came from...
If you don't mind spending the money, they are great. There is a cleaning business in town we work for doing fire and water damage repairs. They will rent theirs out for periods of time. Again, they rent them by the hour of running. Not sure what they charge, but in a pinch, might be another option. About three days Sylvane will have one at your door no shipping...
Old 06-25-2010, 02:50 AM   #17

Trade: water damage fixing

hi ....water damage restoration charges in hours its correct ..but some of them restore your damaged property in hours not in dys.....well self handling would create further damage and prevent that professional water damage repair is must......otherwise water may affect upholstery and carpets and many other electronic equipments....

thanks & regards

A Water damage repair
Old 06-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #18

Trade: drywall contractor, taper/finisher.

first and dub on first day. allow dry second day. third on third day. i know its not an ethical way to finish but if your not givin the time to finish correctly, who cares.. thats what i do up here in MN, gets pretty humid in the summer.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #19

Don't think anyone here is talking water damage. We are talking drying our mud to continue the job.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #20
Mud Manipulator

Trade: Drywall Finishing

Full furnace heat all year round or I do other jobs at the same time and waste the builders time as they waste mine . I would not use humidifiers because the theft with the 220's are bad enough. Man anything not bolted down and even the stuff that is gets stolen around here. Oh the finishing carpenters make just as much or more dust than we do so tell that to the next furnace guy, or builder that doesn t want to hook up the furnace for you.