GridMarX

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
post whore
 
2buckcanuck's Avatar
 
Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: glencoe,ontario,can
Posts: 7,755
Thanks: 2,881
Thanked 4,504 Times in 2,490 Posts
Default

Re: GridMarX


Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
Did you forget a crucial piece of information Mr. Buck? I am the taper who follows my work?

I am going to try the Fein collated gun, as soon as I have $600.....but that's not going to change the sheetrock I have 4000 rpm guns, and 2500 rpm guns, all with variable speeds. And what the hell is cordless going to do about it?

Anyway, I'm not worried about it.....the taper will fix it.
Because your post had the better segway to toss my opinion out

In one way should not of tossed my 2bucks worth in this post, since Moore said it's not guaranteed for use in C land. So odds are, I have never used this rock before.

But I remember with my dewalt cordless drywall gun, it was not too good at sinking a screw in the bevell. the cordless guns have a different torque or SOMETHING to them, so saying their worth a try

__________________
If you don't like my opinions, then you can Buck off and go Buck yourself too
2buckcanuck is offline  
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
Average Member
 
SlimPickins's Avatar
 
Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 3,142
Thanks: 2,506
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts
Default

Re: GridMarX


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2buckcanuck View Post
Because your post had the better segway to toss my opinion out

In one way should not of tossed my 2bucks worth in this post, since Moore said it's not guaranteed for use in C land. So odds are, I have never used this rock before.

But I remember with my dewalt cordless drywall gun, it was not too good at sinking a screw in the bevell. the cordless guns have a different torque or SOMETHING to them, so saying their worth a try
Upon re-reading my post, I realized I sounded a little snarky...wasn't my intention, but I cannot be responsible for what I type before I have enough coffee

I suppose it depends on whether you run your cordless constant, or shoot each screw individually....the last job I did was ICFs (****ing butt**** nasty son-of-a-bitch bull**** ****), and the screws (2") would strip the paper out if the gunning was at full speed when driving (everywhere). I had better luck when driving them in at 1/10th power......but this was not a job where I felt I had time to do that. So, fuzzy paper screws it is
SlimPickins is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #13
Senior DB Member
 
gazman's Avatar
 
Trade: Gyprocker
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia, N/E Victoria
Posts: 3,125
Thanks: 1,699
Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,185 Posts
Default

Re: GridMarX


I have not experienced what you blokes are talking about but all the talk about the speed of the screw gun got me thinking. Would a change in the pitch of the screw help? A finer pitch goes in slower and alternatively a course thread goes in faster. I may be way off the mark.
gazman is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 03:59 AM   #14
Mudder Lover
 
Mudshark's Avatar
 
Trade: drywaller - do it all but prefer to be a finisher
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Posts: 1,974
Thanks: 1,836
Thanked 956 Times in 613 Posts
Default

Re: GridMarX


Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman View Post
I have not experienced what you blokes are talking about but all the talk about the speed of the screw gun got me thinking. Would a change in the pitch of the screw help? A finer pitch goes in slower and alternatively a course thread goes in faster. I may be way off the mark.
I think you are right on the mark. Coarse screw are the way to go to get the screws sunk in. I much prefer the corded screwgun and find the battery powered ones just dont have the oomf to sink the screws in all the way sometimes.
__________________
Mudshark is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
Average Member
 
SlimPickins's Avatar
 
Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 3,142
Thanks: 2,506
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts
Default

Re: GridMarX


Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman View Post
I have not experienced what you blokes are talking about but all the talk about the speed of the screw gun got me thinking. Would a change in the pitch of the screw help? A finer pitch goes in slower and alternatively a course thread goes in faster. I may be way off the mark.
I was wondering if using fine threads on the ICFs would help. I have to head back up there next week to tape the thing and I'm going to buy a handful of points and try them out. I mean, how often do we screw into plastic behind a 1/2 of styrofoam?
SlimPickins is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
drywall slave
 
moore's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 8,285
Thanks: 4,961
Thanked 5,683 Times in 2,953 Posts
Default

Re: GridMarX


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2buckcanuck View Post
Because your post had the better segway to toss my opinion out

In one way should not of tossed my 2bucks worth in this post, since Moore said it's not guaranteed for use in C land. So odds are, I have never used this rock before.

But I remember with my dewalt cordless drywall gun, it was not too good at sinking a screw in the bevell. the cordless guns have a different torque or SOMETHING to them, so saying their worth a try
I have only seen [not guaranteed in Canada] printed on N/G certianteed brand PRO-ROCK... High shoulders @ rippled face. Your lucky not to have It there.
moore is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to moore For This Useful Post:
2buckcanuck (12-24-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
cdwoodcox's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall installer and finisher
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: indiana
Posts: 716
Thanks: 181
Thanked 415 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Re: GridMarX


Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
Upon re-reading my post, I realized I sounded a little snarky...wasn't my intention, but I cannot be responsible for what I type before I have enough coffee

I suppose it depends on whether you run your cordless constant, or shoot each screw individually....the last job I did was ICFs (****ing butt**** nasty son-of-a-bitch bull**** ****), and the screws (2") would strip the paper out if the gunning was at full speed when driving (everywhere). I had better luck when driving them in at 1/10th power......but this was not a job where I felt I had time to do that. So, fuzzy paper screws it is
Odd I have never had that problem when screwing into icf. I have always used 1 5/8 screws. Plus my guns run at 6,000 rpm's
cdwoodcox is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
Average Member
 
SlimPickins's Avatar
 
Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 3,142
Thanks: 2,506
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts
Default

Re: GridMarX


Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
Odd I have never had that problem when screwing into icf. I have always used 1 5/8 screws. Plus my guns run at 6,000 rpm's
I was using 2", but only because I had them sitting in my garage. There were some 1-5/8's on site and I gave them a shot too...they worked a little better, but not much. I don't remember it being as much of a problem on the last couple of jobs....perhaps it's the manufacturer (Logix)
SlimPickins is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
cdwoodcox's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall installer and finisher
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: indiana
Posts: 716
Thanks: 181
Thanked 415 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Re: GridMarX


I have had that issue when driving standard coarse thread screws into heavier gauge steel studs. Perhaps that certain brand expects you to use metal stud screws on their foam also.
Who could afford to use self drilling screws on all icf's as well.
cdwoodcox is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #20
Average Member
 
SlimPickins's Avatar
 
Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 3,142
Thanks: 2,506
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts
Default

Re: GridMarX


Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
I have had that issue when driving standard coarse thread screws into heavier gauge steel studs. Perhaps that certain brand expects you to use metal stud screws on their foam also.
Who could afford to use self drilling screws on all icf's as well.
You're thinking just like I am. But, not only would I have to pick up tappers, I'd have to get them in a length that would sit in my garage for a loooooong time. I haven't hung on steel in a pig's age. I'm sitting on a pile of 1-1/4's as it is. I'd love to go up there with a grab-bag of fasteners though, just to appease my curiosity......their website says nothing about fastener choices for drywall.........just "drywall screws".
SlimPickins is offline  


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1