glueing drywall

Old 08-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #1

Trade: finishing

glueing drywall

if i am placeing drywall on wood or steel, i glue centre and screw around outside! I do not like spotting nails. i see there is also a foam, just foam the stud and do around outside with screws.works great!! O the glue is pl400 in the big tube!

Last edited by tvo; 08-29-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #2

Trade: finishing

Re: glueing drywall

if stud are real bad, thy say foam is better never tried the foam yet
Old 09-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
The Drywall King!

Trade: Drywall Contractor - Frame-Finish

Any commerical job you walk on and you don't screw the drywall off, consider it failed! In my region, glue is never used. Screws only!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
The Drywall King!

Trade: Drywall Contractor - Frame-Finish

BTW,

I love spotting screws, thats like by breather. I spot screws when I'm trying to rest from boxing and bazooka-ing.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #5

Trade: drywall installer and finisher

We were rocking some high end units a few years ago, and last srping I had the opportunity to stay in them. Seemed like every screw in the stairways popped. We just finished rocking an other one of them types of units and on the first one we glued the rock on the stairway. But by the time we got to the second one we were like screw it, we never get recognition for going above and beyond, we just get bitched at when we forget something. They want standard, they'll get standard. They can take all the green glue and aqua rock and shove it strait up there candy ass.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #6

Trade: reno taper

i live in a 27 year old building. they were nailing the edges and gluing the field. in a lot of places the glue has let go of the drywall so if you bang on the wall you can hear the loose field smacking against the stud. also the sheet does not get sucked up tight against the stud so your glue is doing f**k all. if i try to screw the sheets tight now the board just pops back out leaving the paper torn and core crushed due to the uneven surface of glue on stud. its the worst in the bathrooms. my preference is to set the board in place with a couple of nails in the edge and then screw everything. if you want to add glue on top of that, awesome, but personally i don't care and i think its overkill. i think you can figure out my opinion on glueing and not screwing the field. its poopoo
Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Rockstar

Trade: Hanger/Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to evolve991

if you dont screw the field the rock does not always touch the glue. i would not hang drywall without gluing it- period. i will also refuse to let entire fields go unscrewed. i MAY skip every other stud if the builder wants that AND has built something more structurally sound than the usual clap trap houses framed these days.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #8

Trade: Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpentaper View Post
i live in a 27 year old building. they were nailing the edges and gluing the field. in a lot of places the glue has let go of the drywall so if you bang on the wall you can hear the loose field smacking against the stud. also the sheet does not get sucked up tight against the stud so your glue is doing f**k all. if i try to screw the sheets tight now the board just pops back out leaving the paper torn and core crushed due to the uneven surface of glue on stud. its the worst in the bathrooms. my preference is to set the board in place with a couple of nails in the edge and then screw everything. if you want to add glue on top of that, awesome, but personally i don't care and i think its overkill. i think you can figure out my opinion on glueing and not screwing the field. its poopoo
yea, exactly i agree.

no offense to anyone, but gluing doesnt make any sense to me, especially when my company has RARELY had problems with things such as nail pops in the first place. gluing is definitely overkill in my opinion.

again, ive said this before i think on this very forum, but i would NOT feel comfortable for my sheetrock to be glued DIRECTLY to (most likely future settling) lumber. again, no offense but there is no logic in this.

my own experiences, wallboard attached THAT securely to lumber via glue, is NEVER something to brag about.

one of the reasons why i am a strong proponent of using r.c. channels on ceilings due to poor framing / bad lumber. in the best case scenario, i can guarantee my work all day if builders would use this on all their ceilings.

im a strong believer that the best scenario for drywall is to have 'breathing room' and flex room btwn the wallboard and lumber, hence r.c. channel (resilient channel).

the worst thing for a drywall contractor is bad lumber and moving (settling) studs.......

and you want to GLUE directly to this material?

hah, no way.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #9

Trade: Tape and texture

I once followed a hanger who glued ,then put one screw in the field and one on the perimiter of each stud . he was the best hanger you ever saw and ther we never any problems.I give glue a thumbs up.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #10

Trade: Taper

Screw the parimiter and one in the center every 4'or 6', to bring the board to the glue.Misconception.. If you hit the board you can hear the loose board. Not true. When the glue dries it will have a small gap between the stud and the wall, so if you smack it that will be what you hear. Now this is a good thing because glue works like a shim if the stud is out and you glue it wall stay flat and glue dries at the thickness of how far the stud is crowned. If you screw that same piece then the drywall follows the wall, putting pressure on the screws and eventually popping. So more glue less screw pops and flatter walls. Furthermore if you think that board isn't stuck to the studs, You just try to pull that sucker off. And if it does come off your using crappy or the wrong glue

Last edited by mudslingercor; 09-19-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #11

Trade: Tape and texture

i agree with mud sliger .just did it on an over lay job (5/8 over an old worbled acustic scrape off done by a carpenter) and it helped level a bad looking lid on a 30 year old house.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
Rockstar

Trade: Hanger/Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to evolve991

5/8 does give you a much better bridge over bowed/twisted studs and joists but around here everyone uses 1/2 which billows like a circus tent if not secured properly. Yes it causes BAD FRAMING to show up like 2 foot swells on a river but thats not the hangers problem. An old finisher once told me "You can't make chicken soup out of chicken sh*t" I do my absolute best to do an above average job but drywall can only cover so much garbage. Good framing is a different story,there we CAN get away with skipping field screws because the glue actually catches the rock. But very few builders/framers in this area give a crap about Plumb/True/Level/Flush anymore. Gnarled studs used on plates and openings,crowns down...and up....and down....headers half an inch thicker than jackstuds.....makes a good hanging crew FEEL like butchers. Glue is not overkill when most houses are sheathed with plywood corners and foam everywhere else....what the h*ll else will hold them together? The jokes called Hurricane Straps? Not hardly
Old 01-11-2010, 04:26 AM   #13

Trade: 25 years drywall work / Co. owner

I am on the same track with evolve on this. And, doubt the "logic" behind using glue is to secure it to framing that could move. I believe it's to secure board to the framing in the event the framing does move, and loosens the fasteners as a result. Also to bridge uneven framing for a flatter finished product. RC is a great but it too is going to move if the framing shifts or settles. After all, cement blocks crack too but they still gotta put mortar between them and re-enforcing inside them.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:40 AM   #14

Trade: drywall

How many screws are needed to keep a sheet of drywall on a wall really?
-2 screws will support the weight of the sheet
-screwing the perimeter will keep any taped joints from moving and cracking
-screwing the field will keep the sheet from rattling IF YOU BANG ON IT
-gluing the field with mastic NEEDS screws in the field so the beads get compressed and sheets sit flat
-if your gluing with foam adhesive don't even bother with the field because once the perimeter is screwed the bead is squished between the framing and sheet and the board sits perfectly flat - 2hours later it's on there for life.

Foam is faster, cheaper, flatter, and easier to finish
Mastic is out, foam is in, screwing the field?-forget about it!

PLUS!!!
-Use it to prefill large gaps before the taper shows up!
-Contribute to more energy efficient homes by sealing before hanging(heck might as well charge and make more money while your at it!)

D'S
Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #15

Trade: Homebuilder

Interesting topic, this gluing vs. screwing business.

I may not be fully welcome here because I'm a DIY homeowner who is building his own hut and I know you guys wanna keep this forum for the pros.

But I'm not what I consider your average homeowner. I'm most concerned with quality and as this is going to be MY home when it's finished I want to oversee every aspect of the construction, if not doing it myself.

I find this whole business of drywall fascinating and it has been a very enjoyable experience for me. I've spent countless hours reading through all the various threads on this forum and I've learned a lot from you pros. I've also learned there are as many differing opinions as there are posters on the forum. It seems everyone has their own opinion. That's understandable because everyone has had different experiences. It's kinda like the story of the three blind men describing an elephant. Each touched a different part and had a different description.

Since I was the framer I was better able to chose the lumber that went into my home. The only exception to this was the roof trusses, and although my trusses came from one of the better suppliers, they still had their problems. As I built my walls I selected each and every stud, with special attention given to the kitchen walls. Every wall was crowned and every sheet of sheathing was glued around the perimeter before being nailed in place (to reduce air infiltration). Every rafter tie was set in a hand-cut relief along the top plate so the drywall might lay flat. I went around every window and door frame with a hand plane and knocked down all the high spots. The bottom line is, my wall are F-L-A-T. The guys helping me hang board said my house is one of the most square, flat and plumb homes they have ever hung board in.

I know my home is the exception rather than the rule and perhaps because my rate of build is so "relaxed" that that is a good thing. It has given everything time to settle and dry out before I move on to the next phase. I don't foresee my framing moving much at all after it's covered. I hope the next owner appreciates every small detail I've incorporated.

The interior of all my exterior walls are covered with plastic, both as a vapor barrier and as an extra layer to combat air infiltration. This precaution may be overkill and it disallowed the use of glue when hanging the board. As such, I had to ask the hangers to increase the number of screws in the field, one every 12 inches on the walls, one every 8 inches on the lids. Since I provided the material and because I'll be spotting the screws myself they were happy to oblige.

I've also gone back through the house after they finish for the day and recheck their work. It seems on occasion that they leave their "signature" on a board here and there. I have gone so far as to replace a board that was damaged because of a forgotten outlet. Not a problem as I know we are all human and prone to making mistakes. All I ask is that I be told so that I can correct a problem rather than cover it up.

We let bids on the job with the understanding that whoever got the job could work at their own pace, meaning it didn't need to be done ASAP but could be done between other jobs to fill in on short days or slow periods. My guys love coming to work here. It's a relaxed pace with plenty of conversation, breaks for coffee and a cigarette. On occasion, the wife brings out fresh baked sweet rolls right out of the oven. When the guys are here during the lunch hour the wife makes a fresh cooked meal. They are a little surprised by all this and have commented that it's a "first" for them. I was raised on the farm and Mom always cooked a noon meal for the workers and we intend to continue the tradition. The guys also seem surprised by my level of involvement. Most builders or HO's just stand back and bitch. I figure my money doesn't buy me the right to be that extreme. If I give respect I expect respect in return and I figure they will happy and proud of doing a good job for me. If I see something that I think is not up to my standards then I explain my point and listen to theirs. I'm in this life to learn. I only wish I had paid as much attention when I was a wet-behind-the-ears punk in High School.

Well, thanks for letting me chime in with my thoughts. I really appreciate all your opinions and expertise. Oh, and for me, in my situation, I favor a bit of glue for insurance in a well screwed field. (no pun intended.)
Ron
Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #16

Trade: Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Franck View Post
I've also gone back through the house after they finish for the day and recheck their work. It seems on occasion that they leave their "signature" on a board here and there. I have gone so far as to replace a board that was damaged because of a forgotten outlet. Not a problem as I know we are all human and prone to making mistakes. All I ask is that I be told so that I can correct a problem rather than cover it up.
I bet there ain't too many DC contractors out there that would be fond of that.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #17

Trade: drywall,framing, plaster

we never use glue. we do use plenty of screws, i walk around and check the boards to make sure. on stand-ups,every 12" in field ,every 8" at the seams. On ceilings i do 4 in the field, on butts 6. wood framing /house w/railroaded boards gets 3 in field.
The screw gun does not stop all day, mechanics tack and apprentice screws off. No poppers.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 AM   #18

Trade: Finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Franck View Post
Interesting topic, this gluing vs. screwing business.

I may not be fully welcome here because I'm a DIY homeowner who is building his own hut and I know you guys wanna keep this forum for the pros.

But I'm not what I consider your average homeowner. I'm most concerned with quality and as this is going to be MY home when it's finished I want to oversee every aspect of the construction, if not doing it myself.

I find this whole business of drywall fascinating and it has been a very enjoyable experience for me. I've spent countless hours reading through all the various threads on this forum and I've learned a lot from you pros. I've also learned there are as many differing opinions as there are posters on the forum. It seems everyone has their own opinion. That's understandable because everyone has had different experiences. It's kinda like the story of the three blind men describing an elephant. Each touched a different part and had a different description.

Since I was the framer I was better able to chose the lumber that went into my home. The only exception to this was the roof trusses, and although my trusses came from one of the better suppliers, they still had their problems. As I built my walls I selected each and every stud, with special attention given to the kitchen walls. Every wall was crowned and every sheet of sheathing was glued around the perimeter before being nailed in place (to reduce air infiltration). Every rafter tie was set in a hand-cut relief along the top plate so the drywall might lay flat. I went around every window and door frame with a hand plane and knocked down all the high spots. The bottom line is, my wall are F-L-A-T. The guys helping me hang board said my house is one of the most square, flat and plumb homes they have ever hung board in.

I know my home is the exception rather than the rule and perhaps because my rate of build is so "relaxed" that that is a good thing. It has given everything time to settle and dry out before I move on to the next phase. I don't foresee my framing moving much at all after it's covered. I hope the next owner appreciates every small detail I've incorporated.

The interior of all my exterior walls are covered with plastic, both as a vapor barrier and as an extra layer to combat air infiltration. This precaution may be overkill and it disallowed the use of glue when hanging the board. As such, I had to ask the hangers to increase the number of screws in the field, one every 12 inches on the walls, one every 8 inches on the lids. Since I provided the material and because I'll be spotting the screws myself they were happy to oblige.

We let bids on the job with the understanding that whoever got the job could work at their own pace, meaning it didn't need to be done ASAP but could be done between other jobs to fill in on short days or slow periods. My guys love coming to work here. It's a relaxed pace with plenty of conversation, breaks for coffee and a cigarette. On occasion, the wife brings out fresh baked sweet rolls right out of the oven. When the guys are here during the lunch hour the wife makes a fresh cooked meal. They are a little surprised by all this and have commented that it's a "first" for them. I was raised on the farm and Mom always cooked a noon meal for the workers and we intend to continue the tradition. The guys also seem surprised by my level of involvement. Most builders or HO's just stand back and bitch. I figure my money doesn't buy me the right to be that extreme. If I give respect I expect respect in return and I figure they will happy and proud of doing a good job for me. If I see something that I think is not up to my standards then I explain my point and listen to theirs. I'm in this life to learn. I only wish I had paid as much attention when I was a wet-behind-the-ears punk in High School.

Well, thanks for letting me chime in with my thoughts. I really appreciate all your opinions and expertise. Oh, and for me, in my situation, I favor a bit of glue for insurance in a well screwed field. (no pun intended.)
Ron

Well I 'll tell you what Ron ...... When your ready for finish ....Drop me a line and get me a room..... A house built so fine should have the best finisher working on her !

I do like coffee and smokes too.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #19

Trade: drywall,framing, plaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy_ny View Post
well i 'll tell you what ron ...... When your ready for finish ....drop me a line and get me a room..... A house built so fine should have the best finisher working on her !

I do like coffee and smokes too.
lol lol lol lol lol lol brilliant !!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #20

Trade: Homebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnybassman View Post
I bet there ain't too many DC contractors out there that would be fond of that.
One board they forgot that an electrical outlet was behind it. They tried to pound and screw it down until realizing what the problem was. When they routered the opening a section of board popped out to one side of the outlet that was nearly the size of the outlet itself, not to mention all the extra screws used in and attempt to pull the board down. "That's O.K., a little hot mud will fix that" was the response. Well, there was enough left-over board to replace the damaged board, so why not. I did.
Then, in the bathroom, I missed a jack stud that stood out from the wall by an 1/8 inch. This was on a corner and would have been prone to flex and crack if we had tried to screw it down. The guys said they would shim it later.
That night I pulled the board off, planed down the offending stud and replaced the board. Now the corner joint is as tight as a frogs ass.
O.K., I know I'm a little anal retentive, but that's not always a bad thing, is it?
Once the DC sees what my level of expectation is and works accordingly then I figure he won't see me following behind him much longer. I just have the mindset that quality control is most appropriate as the job progresses (and easier to fix) rather than taking care of it during a call-back.
Ron