5/8 " Drywall on Ceilings

Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #1

Trade: Taper

5/8 " Drywall on Ceilings

Workin on a job that needs 5/8" board and has 24 o.c.
What is the norm for installing (1 1/2" screws,glue) ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #2

Trade: boarder, steal stud,inso

Re: 5/8 " Drywall on Ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigrock View Post
Workin on a job that needs 5/8" board and has 24 o.c.
What is the norm for installing (1 1/2" screws,glue) ?
O

On wood or steal?

Both are the same amount screw every 8". wood use corse and steal use fine"s 1 1\4"s are are good though no need for longer.

I've never glued a lid some guy's on here say they do so they can pull there screws later i won't be doing that myself might be good for a taper to much hassle and inspectors want to see those screws
The Following User Says Thank You to gordie For This Useful Post:
pigrock (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Average Member

Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts

Wait just a minute....you're asking how to hang a ceiling?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Trade: Taper

Screwin to wood on 24 " centers.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Trade: Drywall Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
O

On wood or steal?

Both are the same amount screw every 8". wood use corse and steal use fine"s 1 1\4"s are are good though no need for longer.

I've never glued a lid some guy's on here say they do so they can pull there screws later i won't be doing that myself might be good for a taper to much hassle and inspectors want to see those screws
8" o/c is a little over kill at most 4 in the field or like most 3 every 12". As far as length I've seen a lot of 1-1/4" used, common would be 1-5/8" coarse thread. Forget the fine thread they take to long to drive in, this is over wood. The best would be check the building code in your area for specifications on applications for wallboard.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #6

Trade: drywall contractor

1 5/8" screws every 12" if not fire rated......if it's fire rated my inspector makes me screw every 6" and let me tell you that sucks
Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
drywall slave

Thanked 5,495 Times in 2,849 Posts

All trusses set 24 oc should be hung with 5/8s IMO.
Some countys here It's code. Should be code state wide.

I glue the piss out and screw off the same as 1/2 ..2 screws in the field. 1 1/4'' screws. 1 1/2'' screws what evers in the truck.

I would never pull a screw from ANY ceiling board.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moore For This Useful Post:
gordie (02-11-2013), Muddauber (02-11-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Wannabe Woodworker

Trade: Drywall Journeyman/ Master Craftsman
Thanked 1,217 Times in 635 Posts

It is code to have 3 in field for screws here, walls and ceilings. 1 1/4" screws are acceptible but I personally will use 1 5/8" screws My supply doesnt stock 1 1/2" or 1 3/8" screws?? Says they dont make??
Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
drywall slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
It is code to have 3 in field for screws here, walls and ceilings. 1 1/4" screws are acceptible but I personally will use 1 5/8" screws My supply doesnt stock 1 1/2" or 1 3/8" screws?? Says they dont make??
MY bad....1 1/4'' I swear I've used 1 3/8'' screws before tho.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore View Post
All trusses set 24 oc should be hung with 5/8s IMO.
Some countys here It's code. Should be code state wide.

I glue the piss out and screw off the same as 1/2 ..2 screws in the field. 1 1/4'' screws. 1 1/2'' screws what evers in the truck.

I would never pull a screw from ANY ceiling board.
Ya i read on here thats guys do it,, doesn't make sense to me way to much hassle and I'm sure it's wrong but to each his own.

And i can't see myself glue'n a lid neither screws are what they call for glue would be messy

3 in the field is right every 8 is for outside exterior my bad.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #11

Trade: Drywall

Not doing res all he time, but when we do its 1 1/4 and 3 in field.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Average Member

Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
MY bad....1 1/4'' I swear I've used 1 3/8'' screws before tho.
That's the length of nails I use.

I know, I know.....no nails for you. If it means anything though, the nails last forever........I buy a box every 15 houses, as opposed to screws where you generally plow though a box per house.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
drywall slave

Quote:
Ya i read on here thats guys do it,, doesn't make sense to me way to much hassle and I'm sure it's wrong but to each his own.

And i can't see myself glue'n a lid neither screws are what they call for glue would be messy

3 in the field is right every 8 is for outside exterior my bad.
Do you start drinking at 8 am?

Glue is not messy! Eliminating screw pops Is not wrong..That's what kills me with you animals You have never dealt with the hassle of a call back...You get paid and your done..While the d/c sits on pins and needles for a year or so ..Every home I sub the hanging out on ..I have to spend a full day polishing before I can even start the tape coat....I've said it before...And i'm right! hangers/ Finishers that hang there own board have very little issues down the road..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moore For This Useful Post:
gazman (02-11-2013), lnidrywall (02-11-2013), Mountain Man (02-11-2013), super rocker (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #14

Trade: drywall contractor

Quote:

Glue is not messy! Eliminating screw pops Is not wrong..That's what kills me with you animals You have never dealt with the hassle of a call back...You get paid and your done..While the d/c sits on pins and needles for a year or so ..Every home I sub the hanging out on ..I have to spend a full day polishing before I can even start the tape coat....I've said it before...And i'm right! hangers/ Finishers that hang there own board have very little issues down the road..
you are correct and thats why if i dont hang it i dont warranty it, and i will not give a finish $$$$ until board is up if hung by someone else. screw clicks piss me off !!!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #15

Quote:

Wow man i realize taping can be hard work but a 5/8's lid usually means its fire rate and on walls or lids fire rate has to be screwed 3 in the field that's just the way it is.

Now i do like to have a beer or 3 after work that dosen't have anything to do with getting a lid done i do that every day and i use glue everyday on interior walls what it is for.

That's how i was taught it's how most people do it out where i am if that makes me an animal i guess so i thought doing the two 25' high buy 70' long double layer 5/8's wall i did on the weekend made me an animal
9200 board ft at 40c per not bad for 60 man hours
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #16

I Don't think glue is messy just putting it on a lid dose'nt make sense can't do it on polly lids and you can't do it on lids that separate units the only place you could do it is on main floors and basements but that just don't make sense to this animal
Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #17

I guess i was wrong by the sound of it you glue your lid and screw.

Well i can see that working good for your pop outs i thought you wanted to take those screws out witch like i said before im sure is wrong but with both u would have a better bond no dought .

But until i get the order to do both i will just be screwing them off i do new construction only,, and no taper i know gets call backs its no different for them than me..

If the painter is happy to paint it its his job now and the taper is gone.

If the taper is happy with my work i am gone the D.C gets any call backs and pays to have someone come back if needed they should they make a big profit subbing us. Hence the warranty they can offer.

And i use what those profit making D.C.'s give me no more no less I'm sure when the whole job is yours every little thing can help i just never seen anyone glue lids and i do do alot of boarding man so hope that makes it all good most guys like my work lol
Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #18

Quote:

Well i can see that working good for your pop outs i thought you wanted to take those screws out witch like i said before im sure is wrong but with both u would have a better bond no dought .

But until i get the order to do both i will just be screwing them off i do new construction only,, and no taper i know gets call backs its no different for them than me..

If the taper is happy with my work i am gone the D.C gets any call backs and pays to have someone come back if needed they should they make a big profit subbing us. Hence the warranty they can offer.

And i use what those profit making D.C.'s give me no more no less I'm sure when the whole job is yours every little thing can help i just never seen anyone glue lids and i do do alot of boarding man so hope that makes it all good most guys like my work lol

Asked my taper today never heard of glue on lids i think its a reno thing you guys can explain
Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #19
drywall slave

Quote:

Are you pissed at me Gordie? Don't listen to me man ..I don't know WTF I'm talking about half the time..I tend to forget about you Cunucks and the poly. I should never have directed post 13 towards you . I only asked if you start drinking at 8 am because your post are hard to understand sometimes...but...so are mine!

It's really nice to have hangers /boarders/gibbers on DWT ...not too many on here.... On my days off Gordie.. The bloody marys start in around 1:00
Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Are you pissed at me Gordie? Don't listen to me man ..I don't know WTF I'm talking about half the time..I tend to forget about you Cunucks and the poly. I should never have directed post 13 towards you . I only asked if you start drinking at 8 am because your post are hard to understand sometimes...but...so are mine!

It's really nice to have hangers /boarders/gibbers on DWT ...not too many on here.... On my days off Gordie.. The bloody marys start in around 1:00
haha yea i was pissed on thoughs first two posts that usually means were becoming friends most of the guys i hang with are boarders and tapers these days and we all try to get under each others skin .

we allways say stuff like o man thats gona be bad i would of done it this way lol, or the worst is when a taper comes in your unit and says not done yet the french guys are scrappin out you should ask them how to board hahaha.. that will make you work its all good bro yackin on this site is quite a bit of fun

Tags
5/8, ceilings, drywall