Piece work labor breakdown chart?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Big Sheeter

Trade: Railroader

Piece work labor breakdown chart?

A friend of mine mentioned that he used to have a union break down of labor for each trade.

For example,
20% Tape
20% First Coat
So on and so forth, does anybody have a copy of such a thing? I would love to have an accurate break down of things!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #2

Trade: painting and basic drywall repair

Re: Piece work labor breakdown chart?

They have books like that for painting cost estimators, I have one around here somewhere but can't find it at the moment.
They are just basic guidelines though that tell you how much per LF of this and LF of that.

I would imagine they have something similar for drywall probably just have to dig around the web for it. Like I said I see those books as a guideline rather than a fact because regional differences vary greatly.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,490 Times in 2,487 Posts

I heard it's something like 800 to a 1000 sq ft per day no matter which application,so by the end of the week you have completed 5000 sq ft or 100 12's.but what you have actually completed is only a 1000 sq ft,,,,20 x12 ,unions work by man power,does this make sense???
what you trying to figure out checkers,that your over worked compared to union standards
Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
Big Sheeter

Trade: Railroader

I mean say a job pays $100, total.
What percentage of the pay do you allot for taping, first coat, second coat, screws, and sanding?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Average Member

Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
What percentage of the pay do you allot for taping, first coat, second coat, screws, and sanding?
The company I used to work for gave everything almost equal percentage. $0.05/ft for tape, $0.05/ft for top, $0.05/ft for skim, and $0.03/ft for sand (which was actually the real money maker for our medium/heavy knockdown). Screws are part of your top or skim coat, and if fire-taping you got an extra penny per foot for the screws and coating whatever metal there was.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,490 Times in 2,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
I guess if your going to say by task ,and say it's a straight forward work that can be completed in 4 days.Say a run of stand ups with a few up right beads here and there.I guess most would divide it up at 25% each.
But in Importance of the task,and saying a taper has all the toys,I would be prone to say,20% tape,30% load/bed,20% skim,30% sand.Their all Important steps ,but to me the bedding and sanding can get you in more trouble if done wrong.
when you get into wicked jobs where it takes more than 4 days ,and there's lots of extras,it would be harder to break it down.guess you would half to start incorporating the extras some how .