Drywall finishers in Texas - Business, Marketing, and Sales - Drywall Talk

Drywall finishers in Texas

Old 04-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
The Drywall King!

Trade: Drywall Contractor - Frame-Finish

Drywall finishers in Texas

I got a job im doing out there and will be sending my guys, but was wondering if any of my DT people are out this way looking for some more work. PM me.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #2

Trade: Drywall metal framing, hanging, finishing

Re: Drywall finishers in Texas

I am based in Tulsa, Ok and I have done some work around the Dallas and Austin area. I know a couple hanging and finishing crews there, if you're interested send me a pm and I will give you the contact info. I know that Texas footage prices are really low compared to most other areas. I have lost two local large projects to Texas contractors and I talked to the hangers at one multi-family and they were paying $3.36 for a 4x12 and they had to stock it from the parking lot for an extra .48 cents per sheet. Then I knew how they beat us even though they had to travel 450 miles. I don't know if it is like that everywhere in Texas but that is what they were paying the crews on the jobs I bid here in Tulsa.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #3

Trade: Hanger Extraordinare

I can't understand why a hanger would work that cheap. When I started hanging in 1971, we made $1.68 per 12'. I understand variations in markets, but making $100 a day hanging drywall is insane.
MrWillys (04-27-2014), mudslingr (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
drywall slave

Trade: Drywall
Thanked 7,811 Times in 4,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCallum and Sons View Post
I am based in Tulsa, Ok and I have done some work around the Dallas and Austin area. I know a couple hanging and finishing crews there, if you're interested send me a pm and I will give you the contact info. I know that Texas footage prices are really low compared to most other areas. I have lost two local large projects to Texas contractors and I talked to the hangers at one multi-family and they were paying $3.36 for a 4x12 and they had to stock it from the parking lot for an extra .48 cents per sheet. Then I knew how they beat us even though they had to travel 450 miles. I don't know if it is like that everywhere in Texas but that is what they were paying the crews on the jobs I bid here in Tulsa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by super rocker View Post
I can't understand why a hanger would work that cheap. When I started hanging in 1971, we made $1.68 per 12'. I understand variations in markets, but making $100 a day hanging drywall is insane.
Tacos!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moore For This Useful Post:
drywallninja (04-21-2014), Philma Crevices (04-20-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #5

Trade: Frame (metal) Rock Frp Drop Ceilings ect.

Drywall is cutthroat in texas. Pay seems to be .20-27 a sq ft hung, atleast for restruants and other small jobs . Usually run by a shark paying $16 to his top man. Thats commercial. In Texas resdential doesnt pay chit. Residential is where you see the $3.50-4.00 sheets going up.. Its rough out here, thats why we have to diversify our skill sets, most illegals are not trusted with commercial doors, frp and suspended ceilings so thats where the real money is at. Getting on piece work is still viable if you are gettin it.

I cant fathom how tough it would be for a finisher. Most the finishers out here just gob on mud and haphazardly and spend 90% sanding. I see a decent taper maybe 1 in 5-6 jobs. Ive talked to several that speak english. They generally make between $8-12 hourly. Good luck competing. Ive seen 1-2 english speaking/legal finisher crews in the past year or so. I dont know they do it.

Last edited by nodnarb; 04-26-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #6

Trade: Hanger Extraordinare

Very sad, indeed.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
The Drywall King!

Trade: Drywall Contractor - Frame-Finish

well im offering $20/hr for locals.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Wandering and wondering

Trade: Interior Finishing Systems Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepro0000 View Post
well im offering $20/hr for locals.
Good on ya Joe. Drywallers deserve a living wage
Old 05-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #9

Trade: Drywall metal framing, hanging, finishing

Send me a pm and I can send you the contacts that I know. If you are familiar with MSI, they are basically a labor broker. They charge $20 per man but cover ins, if you don't like them or don't think they are worth it, call and swap with a different crew or individual. Also, I have a couple other hangers/finishers numbers. Good luck
Old 05-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #10

Trade: Frame (metal) Rock Frp Drop Ceilings ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCallum and Sons View Post
Send me a pm and I can send you the contacts that I know. If you are familiar with MSI, they are basically a labor broker. They charge $20 per man but cover ins, if you don't like them or don't think they are worth it, call and swap with a different crew or individual. Also, I have a couple other hangers/finishers numbers. Good luck
Ive worked with MSI personally at my old company when we needed extra hands. The guys they sent out here were lazy and godawful workers. I wouldnt risk your name suggesting those jokes. They charge $20+ for essentially unskilled day laborers. The guys I saw werent fit for exterior sheathing..

If any of you guys need help in north TX and dfw area let me know. Ive got a small EFFECTIVE crew and contacts for a pretty large crew should I need one. I specialize in restruants and office finishout but do plenty of other stuff as well.