Scotian, pretty new to taping

Old 05-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

Trade: Drywall Finnisher

Scotian, pretty new to taping

Hey guys/gals, I'm pretty new to this taping game, but am catching on very quickly. I learn fast and am very eager to learn to make some decent cash. I'm already making more money then I ever have and I've only been at it for 6 months.

I was an Iron Worker for 15 years and the work dried up and I fell on some pretty hard times so a buddy of mine was a taper and he was looking for a helper so I worked with him for about a month or so. He showed me how to fiber tape, fill screws, mix mud and wash buckets then he moved away....... so I started watching all kinds of youtube vids on how to do it and I went and got a business # and workers comp and decided to give it a try on my own. it took me over 2 weeks of 14-16 hour days to do 2 little 3500 sq' units lol.
There was ALOT of trial and error but they ended up passing, besides having to touch up EVERY 3way lol. All I had at the time was a drill, 4", 6" and some small ****ty trowel .

I've come a LONG ways from that, every unit, hallway & stairwell I've done got easier and faster since then, with less and less touch ups.

I can now finnish 4500 - 5000 sq' in 6 days and now have and use EZ Stride stilts, a pump, roller and flusher from Columbia. I am now looking to step my game up further by getting Columbia's Tall Boy pump, Hydra Reach handle, 10" fat boy and a 14" finish box. Anyone use or have any pro's or con's to let me know of on this box line up? Would love to hear them.

I am open to any suggestions, helpful tips, as I am willing to learn and start making some serious cash.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scotian_Taper For This Useful Post:
MrWillys (05-18-2017)
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #2

Trade: Drywall
Thanked 1,241 Times in 724 Posts

Re: Scotian, pretty new to taping

Welcome to the board. I grew up using Ames rentals and later owned American made Tape Tech which is now Chinese. If I had to buy tools today I'd go with Blue Line.

http://www.bluelineusa.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to MrWillys For This Useful Post:
Scotian_Taper (05-19-2017)