Need Help with an old acoustical texture.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #1

Trade: drywall and framing

Need Help with an old acoustical texture.

I'm doing a small repair on a huge ceiling in a old church (was done in the early 50's) that has a sprayed on acoustical texture (not popcorn, looks like an orange peel with alot of air holes in it) much like that of a drop in tile for a dropped ceiling. Has anyone ever came across something like this before? What is the technical name of the stuff and where do you get the stuff to patch it?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #2

Trade: drywall finisher

Re: Need Help with an old acoustical texture.

Yes,I've seen it. I done a repair like that back in the 80's. We done the repair, then spayed the entire ceiling with "FAKE" drywall acoustic. Mine looked like crap compaired to the original.

That is a plaster acoustic, maybe 3/4" or 1" thick applied by hawk & trowel. It actually has acoustic value & was soft like ceiling tile
CAUTION; It's probably full of asbestos.

My dad told me he used it some in the 50's & 60's in chuches,schools,& hospitals.

Check with USG or national gyp. to see if it's still available.

Good luck!

Last edited by Muddauber; 01-09-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: left something out.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

Trade: Drywall Finisher

In my opinion you must get some services of professionals to do this work because this is very sensitive work. Therefore professional can do this more efficiently. Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Ceiling and Wall Guy

Trade: Hang, Finish, Texture, Repair, Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallnflorida View Post
I'm doing a small repair on a huge ceiling in a old church (was done in the early 50's) that has a sprayed on acoustical texture (not popcorn, looks like an orange peel with alot of air holes in it) much like that of a drop in tile for a dropped ceiling. Has anyone ever came across something like this before? What is the technical name of the stuff and where do you get the stuff to patch it?
I think this old school popcorn you speak of is vermiculite. I've had success in matching this texture in the past by using SHEETROCK Brand Ceiling Spray Texture, "Fine" QT and feathering it out from repair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
drywallnflorida (02-09-2012), PrecisionTaping (02-08-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnson1300 View Post
In my opinion you must get some services of professionals to do this work because this is very sensitive work. Therefore professional can do this more efficiently. Thanks

I guess owning my own drywall buisness (that has been staying busy durring these slow times) doesn't classify me as a professional
The Following User Says Thank You to drywallnflorida For This Useful Post:
moore (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mixalot View Post
I think this old school popcorn you speak of is vermiculite. I've had success in matching this texture in the past by using SHEETROCK Brand Ceiling Spray Texture, "Fine" QT and feathering it out from repair.
No Paul its deff. not a type of vermiculite, It didn't have a popcorn look at all, the surface was smooth. It looks alot like a drop in accoustical tile type of material but it is about made up of multiple 50'x25' barrel shaped sections divided by columns.

We decided not to do it at this time, they are gonna have it tested for asbestos, and since its 25' in the air, once we set up scaffold and got a better look the damage is much more than what appered to be from the ground, they decided to wait till the whole building gets renovated ( later this year).
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddauber View Post
That is a plaster acoustic, maybe 3/4" or 1" thick applied by hawk & trowel. It actually has acoustic value & was soft like ceiling tile
CAUTION; It's probably full of asbestos.

My dad told me he used it some in the 50's & 60's in chuches,schools,& hospitals.

Check with USG or national gyp. to see if it's still available.

Good luck!
Deffnitly sounds like the same stuff, and the time that it was done was in the 60's