Level 5

Old 08-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #1

Trade: Drywall contractor... hanger and finisher

Level 5

ok im bidding a job its a drs office. And he wants a level 4 finish. thats no problem. But then he asked whats the price difference for level 5. And like i told him id have to full skim everything. Its a 400 board job all 10' ceilings. How much a sq ft would u charge. We never do it around here so i dont know what to quote him

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #2

Trade: Finnisher

Re: Level 5

I'd nearly double my level 4 price if I were skimming and sanding twice after getting to level 4. But I don't do much of it either.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #3

yeah thats a lot of work. i dont want to quote to much or to little
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,490 Times in 2,487 Posts

not dd level 4,don't forget you will be one less coat on the screws,beads,three ways,butts,short joints etc ,,,,,I would still 12" flats,10 foot high sucks but is it stand ups (office) some thread on here about level 5,use paint roller and trowel ,2 man system though, it's not that bad,it's the sanding thats going to kill u and eat up your time,2 days extra in time maybe ,hit them for a dime (labour) let us know how it goes if u do it and what you learn,I see level 5 coming every where damn internet (the highway of information)
The Following User Says Thank You to 2buckcanuck For This Useful Post:
guijarrero (03-14-2012)
Old 08-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #5

yeah i figured 5 or 6 a sheet a least. But its all layed down. No drop ceiling all slick ceilings.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Average Member

Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts

I think a starting price would be $0.10 a foot. Materials are negligible. A partner and I were doing 50ftx20ft high walls on a man lift, 4 walls to the room and it took half a day. You can thin the skim material from the first bucket and reuse it, but after that it gums up too fast and you have to toss it. My partner was wiping with a GOOD 14" knife, it was on the stiff side. Roll it on, wipe it right back off, paying attention to direction of seams and butts. If you do it right, sanding is nothing...you're basically just spending the time to look it over with a light (I took a 250 watt halogen and painted the aluminum guard inside flat black....to achieve more of a point source, then I attached it to a handle).
Old 08-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #7

Trade: drywall,framing, plaster

.25-.75
Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #8

Trade: Drywall and decorating
Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,027 Posts

Hi, Read my thread on, Level 5, spraying mud??? if you havent already, it works well, i found i didnt need to top coat the joins/corners, if its taped and 2nd coated well then i just rolled on and troweled off everything twice, yes twice, with a 14inch trowel. I found once wasnt really enough its a very thin coat so doing it twice leveled it off great and then just a 360 pole sand was enough, its amazing how smooth and ridge free it becomes and its ablity to fill over things and level them out.
Put the stilts on for troweling off the ceilings and a man on the ground rolling, dont roll to far ahead or you wont be able to smooth it down very well. Its a two man thing really if you have a lot to do.

Cant help you much on price, You all seem to be on foot rates, Im mostly on hrs and if i price i guess the time and charge for the hrs, seems to work out ok for me, I guess if i did foot rates then possably i could earn more but foot rates get a bit confusing on a patch up or bathroom or small reno then hrs are easier, Maybe a thread on How do you charge, Hrs or ft rates might be interesting??

Last edited by cazna; 08-18-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
post whore

tricounty you half to give us feed back if you get the job,it's funny you put this thread up for we (partner) were just talking this week , what do we charge for a level 5 job,more and more requests for it.worst part some expecting it for free or do certain areas for free (bathrooms,sunshine walls,living rooms etc)
nuts
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #10

I think Im starting to just do it now in light areas and not say its an extra, just put it in the costs, Clients are more educated on things now, ok it costs more but you do save on not having to top coat. smaller areas im just skimming out by hand, larger areas out come the big fluffy lambswool roller, Still work in progress but i think this is where im heading, well today anyway??
Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
post whore

i hear you cazna,but I think what tricounty is trying to say is,xx amount for level 3,xx amount for level 4,what xx amount for level 5,doing things for piece work,how many more pennys per sq ft. (I hope thats what he is asking) I love the p/w,can't stand by the hour,could start another thread on that comet,
but it's what you said,more people being educated on stuff,they want the best,level 5 sounds the best,but I'm not doing it for free
Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #12
post whore

Cant help you much on price, You all seem to be on foot rates, Im mostly on hrs and if i price i guess the time and charge for the hrs, seems to work out ok for me, I guess if i did foot rates then possably i could earn more but foot rates get a bit confusing on a patch up or bathroom or small reno then hrs are easier, Maybe a thread on How do you charge, Hrs or ft rates might be interesting??[/quote]
say your set p/w price is 10 cents,I would say 4000 sq ft is your middle point,so 4000 x10 =........but hold on its 9 foot high add a penny,no spray painted ceilings,add 3 cents,vaulted ceiling,add a penny,sky light add a penny,level 5 add ??????
under 4000 sq ft you start to up the cents so 1500 sq ft x 25 cents,or 1000 sq ft x 35 etc.....anything under that you do what you said ,this many hours so.....
and you can incorporate your materials in too,dry wall cost me xx sq ft ,tape material 6 cents etc...
sure guys will add to this,the main thing is you got to find your set price (cents) that covers your tax,gas,tools,insurance,make $$$$$$ hopes this helps you a little bit,pw the way to (but not all the time)
{prices made up by the way}
Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
The Happy Taper

Trade: The Happy Taper

level 5 done with drywall compound is not practical this days or is the best way to achieve true smooth wall finish. There is products out there that do the job with out having to skim out entire areas with drywall compounds. Price the same as priming plus the cost of leveler and you won't go wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mudstar For This Useful Post:
Buck Valley Drywall (04-10-2014)
Old 08-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #14

Those level 5 spray or roll products can go wrong, very wrong, I have done it.

Did the best level 4 we could then sprayed it with the level five and re checked with the light, you can still make out some nail spots and seam lines, these products only make the walls smooth, NOT level or fill any real chips, bruses, scratches you may have missed and its expencive stuff, topping is far more economic, yes its a little more work but you dont need to top coat or mask things up either, or have a expensive sprayer and spend time setting up or cleaning it.

A Level 5 rolled and smoothed off wall with topping mud is as perfact as you could possably get it, everything is filled over and smoothed out, you can feel it and pick things up as you smooth it down and fix it as you go, the spray products wont do that, spary products need a sanded level 4 then they need a sand as well, thats sanding the wall twice, rolled and smoothed down is sanding once.

Now im the first to admit nz is far behind with this finish so i am too, you have far more access to products in canada and usa than we do, Dulux do a roll on surfacer that is horrable, and a spray ultrahide level 5, resene do a 3 in 1 as they call it, undercoat, sealer, and top coat all in one which i have not tryed, sheetrock tuff hide is here but i can get nearly 5 boxes of mud or 1 bucket of tuff hide for the same cost, and i need a bigger expensive sprayer, I have only used the dulux ultrahide and this is my findings so im keen to hear others experances if they will step up and share.

Mudstar you make these claims but rarely back any of it up with a real life story, how about stepping up and sharing some of your experances for a change, Thanks Mate.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
post whore

is that those newer gypsum based primers,mudstar,so we can pass the buck onto the painters,just wondering.
maybe the mods should erase all comments to level 5 finish.dont want those D.I.Y and H.O. finding out about it on here.
we should give it a code name,something like the "whole nine yards" or something
Old 08-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
The Happy Taper

Trade: The Happy Taper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazna View Post
Mudstar you make these claims but rarely back any of it up with a real life story, how about stepping up and sharing some of your experances for a change, Thanks Mate.
Its your choice to story tell and mine not to but to point out facts of the trade is all I care to share.

I'm in business to make money not to tell you how I did it that would be a trade secret wouldn't it

Old 08-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #17

ty for all the input. I got the job but still talking about the level 5. If we do it ill let yall know how it goes. Ty guys
Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rock View Post
.25-.75
Thats what I was thinking. But on the higher price..
Hear union guys gettting $1.25 a foot for spray level 5 two coats.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #19

Trade: Finnisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudstar View Post
Its your choice to story tell and mine not to but to point out facts of the trade is all I care to share.

I'm in business to make money not to tell you how I did it that would be a trade secret wouldn't it

mudstar, you're such a ****. I really hope the great white north means northern US and not Canada. I'd hate to think I had anything in common with you besides career.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudstar View Post

Your not really pointing out any facts of the trade at all, nothing, zip, zero.

So your just sitting back reading and absorbing info and selfishly keeping things to your self then, oh well i did invite you to interact, your choice then, Im glad there is not more people on here treating the forum like that, what a crap forum it would be. There would be no point or as you sometimes put it, lock up the forum.