Kitchen Fur-down removal and repair

Old 01-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #1

Trade: plaster finishes, ceiling repair, drywall repair, texture finishes
Smile

Kitchen Fur-down removal and repair

Hello-

I have wanted to put crown molding on cabinets but in many cases there is the fur down (or fir down) that is sheet rock boxed up from the ceiling to the top of the cabinets, and often with a little ceiling area over the sink.

My question is what to expect when I try to take it down. Will there just be some bare studs and and ceiling joints that need to be covered and in the case of the ceiling, texture matched? I would not expect to find plumbing there to deal with but I could be very wrong. What do you think?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #2

Trade: drywall installer and finisher

Re: Kitchen Fur-down removal and repair

Mostly just framing, alot of times you will find wiring and occasionally plumbing. Yes you will likely have to patch in ceiling and finish accordingly can't you just apply a smaller crown from cabinet to ceiling. Sounds like a whole bunch of work just to add crown molding to top of cabinets. But good luck.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Wandering and wondering

Trade: Interior Finishing Systems Technician

A picture would help us see what you need to know. There may be a better way to make a transition in materials
The Following User Says Thank You to Philma Crevices For This Useful Post:
2buckcanuck (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #4

Trade: drywall/framer

Those soffits can Cary electrical and sometimes duct work. I would add crown moulding from the soffit to the Ceiling and carry it through the dining area.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
harve

Trade: tapeing, level 1.2

caulk
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #6

Cool

Thanks, I figured most of the time it was just a way to fit the cabinets in. The trend today is to put crown on the existing cabinets and to even raise some of them to the ceiling, they are up and down now a lot, plus folks are building a surround for the refrigerator, adding lots of corbels etc. It looks like a good area to investigate considering the budgets today.

I was looking a an amazing redo on facebook and I did notice that after the tear out there was only studs, then drywall in the next photos, but he failed to show off how he sprayed the aristex, you could see from the photos that this was what was in the rest of the kitchen ---gee, given the spaces, you might want to spray the ceiling patch first then try to blend it it---I dunno.

I guess the only way to find out if there is plumbing or electrical would be to cut open a place and look with a flashlight. I suppose if there was electrical etc. You could redo the the down with a recess for the crown, yeah it is a lot of work but if you can save the existing cabinets some you can come in way under the cabinet builders even the big box guys start out at 12,000.00 even tho they will ask you to sit down and hear about the 3,000 dollar specials---they don't exist. I would post some photos but they belong to a guy on facebook, I am getting ahead of myself really getting ready for that big bid you know....
Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #7

Trade: Drywall contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey randall View Post
caulk
please tell me me I am not reading this correctly<<<oh dear lord
Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philma Crevices View Post
A picture would help us see what you need to know. There may be a better way to make a transition in materials

Here is what I am talking about, check out how good this looks
in the pictures is the tear out

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7535283&type=1

I found it reading on facebook, the fur down is a problem for a lot of folks with older homes.

Last edited by Painter One; 01-31-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: wanted to clarify
Old 01-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Wannabe Woodworker

Trade: Drywall Journeyman/ Master Craftsman
Thanked 1,210 Times in 631 Posts

Crazy you mention this but we just did a little kitchen remodel for some folks in a upper end not very old home and when soffits were removed there was sheetrock untaped but srewed. Appears they built in soffits after lid got hung but before tape . I was surprised to see that. Most of the time its ductwork or plywood built soffits.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #10

Trade: drywall/framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Crazy you mention this but we just did a little kitchen remodel for some folks in a upper end not very old home and when soffits were removed there was sheetrock untaped but srewed. Appears they built in soffits after lid got hung but before tape . I was surprised to see that. Most of the time its ductwork or plywood built soffits.
A lot of the soffits we do are built after the lid has been drywalled. It's the way they were on the blueprints. Specially for hospitals and schools.

Tags
cabinets, ceilings, fur down, kitchen remodeling