foam

Old 10-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
harve

Trade: tapeing, level 1.2

foam

why arent we useing a/b non expanding foam to tape ? wont wash out with water, dries in moments, no tape-just foam, wont catch fire, cant be scraped off, wont crack, just a thought. i remember mixing dry mix mud, and no recess on board, just comeing out of the plaster era. it was crazy- this board wont be around long. no 30% lite weight sheet rock for me. i'm quick to get mad about my confusions- but slow to change. foam then mud- you could do as much footage as you want. maybe foam up the bead instead of metal-{never crack when it got hit} just a thought, i heard we went to the moon.

Last edited by harvey randall; 10-28-2011 at 06:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to harvey randall For This Useful Post:
SlimPickins (10-29-2011)
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Drunken Bum!

Trade: AMES TAPER

Re: foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey randall View Post
why arent we useing a/b non expanding foam to tape ? wont wash out with water, dries in moments, no tape-just foam, wont catch fire, cant be scraped off, wont crack, just a thought. i remember mixing dry mix mud, and no recess on board, just comeing out of the plaster era. it was crazy- this board wont be around long. no 30% lite weight sheet rock for me. i'm quick to get mad about my confusions- but slow to change. foam then mud- you could do as much footage as you want. maybe foam up the bead instead of metal-{never crack when it got hit} just a thought, i heard we went to the moon.
Man i have no idea fit ur speaking about but get off the drugs
Old 10-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
drywall slave

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Thanked 5,125 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote:
Yeah Alice ..To the moon....WTF!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to moore For This Useful Post:
VANMAN (10-29-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

Trade: drywall installer and finisher

I guess that solves the mesh vs. paper feud.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdwoodcox For This Useful Post:
2buckcanuck (10-28-2011), DSJOHN (10-28-2011), gotmud (10-28-2011), moore (10-28-2011), mudslingr (10-28-2011), SlimPickins (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,482 Times in 2,484 Posts

Quote:
You go first, let us know how it goes
Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Rock'n Hawk

Trade: taper/boarder
Thanked 1,202 Times in 541 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mudslingr

How about some Cool Whip from a can ! It expands a bit and gets quite hard when dry. Just a thought.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #7

Trade: Tape and texture

thers alot of room here for jokes,but i did a house awhile back and it had foam insulation,sprayed in.they sprayed it on then darbyed it flat to the studs.in the attic it was so strong you didn,t have to be very carefull where you walked.Who knows maybe we could tape with a can!!If nothing else i bet you get off on the fumes. just ask Havey
Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Average Member

Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Thanked 1,646 Times in 986 Posts

Yeah, sounds like a rip-roarin' good time, especially when it comes time to clean up tools

Here's a better idea....we convince people that the "raw" look is "in". Exposed fasteners and joints are now a sought after aesthetic. All it needs is a clear coat......done
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlimPickins For This Useful Post:
2buckcanuck (10-29-2011), mudslingr (10-28-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
harve

of corse all tools would be throw away. foam just for the undercoat. plastic inject-one gallon milk jug cost nothing-no mesh no paper- ive already done it. i tried cool whip, but spend too much time licking it off the wall. a back pack with a wand- JUST FOR THE BASE COAT-(could clean tools with MEK, but a garbage can is easier.) this does not have to be the next step, but it could be. you still have to use your art to get the level 5 or what ever. just increase your getting the first part done, faster. oh and by the way- water leakage wont pull it off-(pretty clear after a homeowner foamed his windows and you have to run window returns.)-drys in minutes, wont crack-(ever), etc, 801-695-0070
The Following User Says Thank You to harvey randall For This Useful Post:
SlimPickins (10-29-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
drywall slave

Quote:
of corse all tools would be throw away. foam just for the undercoat. plastic inject-one gallon milk jug cost nothing-no mesh no paper- ive already done it. i tried cool whip, but spend too much time licking it off the wall. a back pack with a wand- JUST FOR THE BASE COAT-(could clean tools with MEK, but a garbage can is easier.) this does not have to be the next step, but it could be. you still have to use your art to get the level 5 or what ever. just increase your getting the first part done, faster. oh and by the way- water leakage wont pull it off-(pretty clear after a homeowner foamed his windows and you have to run window returns.)-drys in minutes, wont crack-(ever), etc, 801-695-0070
Damn dude ...your serious?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore View Post
Damn dude ...your serious?
Yeah, he is...and being the weirdo I am, I think he's on to something. I mean seriously.....why do we cover a tiny little crack with 2" of tape? I like his ideas on "welding" sheets edges together. If it works with wood (and wood glue) and steel, why not sheetrock? Molecular bonding is cool
Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #12

Trade: drywall taper

Us v Harvey

Last edited by E.K Taper; 10-29-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #13
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,482 Times in 2,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
Us v Harvey
Nope, it's us, versus Slim and harvey now
Old 10-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #14
Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2buckcanuck View Post
Nope, it's us, versus Slim and harvey now
That's okay, I'm getting used to being odd man out.
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimPickins For This Useful Post:
2buckcanuck (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
drywall slave

I like harvey ..he sticks to his guns ,,and he may damn well have something here....come on guys..he gave us his cell # for gods sake..whatever he's brewing he believes in it ..I like that !
The Following User Says Thank You to moore For This Useful Post:
SlimPickins (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #16
Drunken Bum!

Trade: AMES TAPER

I do believe if i started fillin joints with foam and not puttin a tape on the joints there would b something said about this And i would get no more workWhich 2 me i would end up Bankrupt
Dont get me wrong it might work but i cant c it!!!!What will happen with the movement of houses? Ok the foam might b flexable 2 do this but what about the filler on top will this not end up with cracks?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #17
Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANMAN View Post
I do believe if i started fillin joints with foam and not puttin a tape on the joints there would b something said about this And i would get no more workWhich 2 me i would end up Bankrupt
Dont get me wrong it might work but i cant c it!!!!What will happen with the movement of houses? Ok the foam might b flexable 2 do this but what about the filler on top will this not end up with cracks?
But isn't that the same thing you're hoping that tape will fix? Those wacky Germans came up with Vario, which is an attempt at just skipping the tape process altogether with a proper topping material.

I was thinking about this on the hour drive to work yesterday....Some of the forces in a house are so great they will shear sheetrock, or lift a roof 3/4 of an inch. It's just plain crazy. Sheetrock shouldn't be moving very much, and if the foam (or whatever the material might be) is semi-rigid I think it would work. I entertained the idea of using Lexel after reading Harvey's post.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #18
Wannabe Woodworker

Trade: Drywall Journeyman/ Master Craftsman
Thanked 1,160 Times in 605 Posts

foam cracks Mt stucco on my 3 year old house has cracks...foam and mesh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris For This Useful Post:
SlimPickins (10-30-2011), VANMAN (10-30-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #19

Trade: drywall installer and finisher

http://youtu.be/rsXdKK8ao3Q

flex seal looks expensive but more practical than foam.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #20
harve

foam dosent crack, its the rock hard plaster or synthetic on top that cracks. im giveing that flex seal a look tomorrow- my motor home is leaking like is was designed to. i'll use it there first and then put it on my shop wall and see if mud will stick to rubber. i remember ole stan brown said we quick setted every thing and didnt tape a thing.-(arizona maybe 1965) i said jeez stan didnt crack out ? he said not that bad. i was working for him when he told me the story- so i said you got any quick set in the shop ? he shot me an ugly and that was the end of that conversation. stan made mud in arizona, a real character-he said he always felt guilty for not putting tape on those apartments. for that i love and respect the man. but i got to thinking- if you can barely chisel a one part foam off vinyl windows- and you cant without mek, then why isnt it possible, when the whole wall flex's anyway. now on to the top coat. but before that the painters always never get the ****e- course every body knows latex bows. now i want you to get up, and go to your window, stick your head out and yell-IM AS MAD A HELL AND IM NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANY MORE>or just dont drink and text. take care of you and yours. harve