Is tape necessary? - Plaster Forum - Drywall Talk

Is tape necessary?

Old 06-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #1

Trade: Drywall Finisher

Is tape necessary?

I'm a drywall finisher that wants to play with (learn?) plaster. I've fooled around with Diamond & Imperial veneer plasters & enjoyed it. Is lime & gauging plaster any easier to work with than veneer finishes?
I was wondering if I coat with Structolite basecoat, do I go 3/8" thick right away or is that achieved in 2 separate coats? I think the old plaster & rock lath system didn't use any tape for the joints. I was wondering if I coat with Structolite basecoat & veneer topcoat would the joints still need to be taped & filled.
I'm sure this is a silly question, but I was curious, since the old style plaster didn't seem to use any. Thanks!

Last edited by Wimpy65; 06-22-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #2

Trade: journeyman Plasterer

Re: Is tape necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpy65
I'm a drywall finisher that wants to play with (learn?) plaster. I've fooled around with Diamond & Imperial veneer plasters & enjoyed it. Is lime & gauging plaster any easier to work with than veneer finishes? I was wondering if I coat with Structolite basecoat, do I go 3/8" thick right away or is that achieved in 2 separate coats? I think the old plaster & rock lath system didn't use any tape for the joints. I was wondering if I coat with Structolite basecoat & veneer topcoat would the joints still need to be taped & filled. I'm sure this is a silly question, but I was curious, since the old style plaster didn't seem to use any. Thanks!
Are you thinking of putting structolite on drywall?
Line and gauging is slick likes snot. Yes 3/8 on scratch minimum. No tape was ever used on rock lath. Metal lath. was used in angles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Brightstar For This Useful Post:
Wimpy65 (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #3

Are you thinking of putting structolite on drywall?
Line and gauging is slick likes snot. Yes 3/8 on scratch minimum. No tape was ever used on rock lath. Metal lath. was used in angles.

I was thinking of using blue board. I've never mixed lime & gauging; do you need to allow the lime to soak overnight? So scratch coat is 3/8" thick, do you also need a brown coat of Structolite that is 3/8" thick, as well? For the angles, do you just put the metal lath corner bead in backwards?
Thanks so much for all your help!
I may have to come to Michigan to watch a true professional in action.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #4

Trade: journeyman Plasterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpy65
Are you thinking of putting structolite on drywall? Line and gauging is slick likes snot. Yes 3/8 on scratch minimum. No tape was ever used on rock lath. Metal lath. was used in angles. I was thinking of using blue board. I've never mixed lime & gauging; do you need to allow the lime to soak overnight? So scratch coat is 3/8" thick, do you also need a brown coat of Structolite that is 3/8" thick, as well? For the angles, do you just put the metal lath corner bead in backwards? Thanks so much for all your help! I may have to come to Michigan to watch a true professional in action.
Yes. Let finish line soak for a day. Fill in scratch coat and you got 3/8 - 5/8. Set screeds on windows and doors. Lath angles. Bring your tools, I can use the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Brightstar For This Useful Post:
Wimpy65 (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #5

Bring your tools, I can use the help.

Well, I do have family in Gregory, MI...
Old 07-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

Trade: drywall, plaster, steel studs, etc.

Yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to endo_alley For This Useful Post:
chris (07-09-2014)
Old 01-12-2017, 06:36 AM   #7

Trade: Floorer

Always. If a job is worth doing and all that..
Old 01-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by silb View Post
Always. If a job is worth doing and all that..
And yet, the old time plasterers never taped the joints (at least here in the USA). The generation before me would put the base coat right over the rock lath. The only thing they did was reinforce the inside and outside corners with metal. My guess is they would argue that they were doing it right!

It may be important to add that here in the USA, we differentiate between drywall and plaster. We always tape drywall joints (and veneer plaster joints). The subject was conventional plaster (3/8" rock lath, 3/8" base coat, & 1/8" white coat).

Welcome to the forum Silb!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #9

Trade: drywall

Wood lathe, wire lathe plaster cracks like all get out. People used to accept cracks as part of the finish. Now they don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to endo_alley_revisited For This Useful Post:
Wimpy65 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo_alley_revisited View Post
Wood lathe, wire lathe plaster cracks like all get out. People used to accept cracks as part of the finish. Now they don't.
It is interesting how we are held to a higher standard than our forebears. I'm not sure what to make of the old adage "they don't build them like they use to". Some things were far superior, while other things were downright junk compared to modern construction. All in all, I doubt any new house I work on now will be standing in 200 years or so!