Kalibur extended setting plaster - Plaster Forum - Drywall Talk

Kalibur extended setting plaster

Old 04-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

Trade: plasterer and drywall finisher

Kalibur extended setting plaster

Anyone familiar with this. I mixed my first bag of xkalibur today. It was over a already finished plastered smooth wall. I bonded the wall first. I then troweled a sand mixed finish on.(so it matched the rest of the room).... I noticed it took a while for it to be able to float. (Small wall... Only 1/2 a 5 gal bucket of mud used). When it started setting It floated great. But in 10-15 min it was hard. I got it done but not 100% satisfied.
I could see my bonding agent underneath the finish when I was done in spots. I figured as it dried it would go away. Thought maybe I troweled in on to thin? M I also had a couple spots (quarter size) that dug out when it was to wet when I tested it. And then it didn't float right in them spots when it was time to be floated.
I'm sure it may have worked better over new blue board.

Any answers or tips to this? And overall I did like this product! I do a two coat system now. Two coat is really nice. Just wanting to learn this one coat system. Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-17-2015, 07:01 AM   #2

Trade: Plaster & Drywall

Re: Kalibur extended setting plaster

When you go over a bonder like that it works best to have a base coat then apply your finish even though the product is a one coat system. The bonder doesn't allow the moisture to suck into the board and so when you float your finish it just wants to slide around on you.
The Following User Says Thank You to R.E. Plaster For This Useful Post:
Wimpy65 (05-17-2015)