Integral Color Plaster repair - Plaster Forum - Drywall Talk

Integral Color Plaster repair

Old 01-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

Trade: drywall, plaster, steel studs, etc.

Integral Color Plaster repair

I am wondering if anybody does integral color plastering. It is quite popular here in Western Colorado. If so, does anybody have any tricks for repairing it without redoing an entire wall or ceiling?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #2

Trade: Plastering

Re: Integral Color Plaster repair

Colored plaster is very difficult to patch/repair seamlessly when just using the plaster itself, we have had great success by doing the repair and then having a faux artist come behind to blend the colors. We do a lot of high end Venetian as well as colored shower plastering so we really had to do our homework when it came to repairing damage caused by other trades or more often than not from the clients themselves :-(( Good luck with it mate.

Last edited by Euro Plastering; 01-13-2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Add more info.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #3

Trade: journeyman Plasterer

You ever do any hay barrel plastering?

http://youtu.be/R3RC9BjZj2I
Old 01-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

Question

We've done barrel/half barrel/1/4 barrel/dome/sphere ceilings but "hay barrel" is a new one for me.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #5

Trade: journeyman Plasterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Plastering View Post
We've done barrel/half barrel/1/4 barrel/dome/sphere ceilings but "hay barrel" is a new one for me.

Sorry its "hay bail" plastering. I have heard its popular out west.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw-bale_construction

http://youtu.be/R3RC9BjZj2I
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #6

Straw bail is a means of construction using bails of hay stagger stacked in lieu of cmu or brick. You can put a stucco basecoat mix over the top of it to bury the bails. So it is just like stucco. After basecoat you can use any material that will stick to stucco.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Colored plaster is very difficult to patch/repair seamlessly when just using the plaster itself, we have had great success by doing the repair and then having a faux artist come behind to blend the colors. We do a lot of high end Venetian as well as colored shower plastering so we really had to do our homework when it came to repairing damage caused by other trades or more often than not from the clients themselves :-(( Good luck with it mate.
We do a lot of integral color plastering of various types also. I can generally match a wall patch. But blending in a patch in the middle of a ceiling with a lot of light across it seems to evade me. Even when you get the color matched, the sheen difference along the edge of the patch can give the repair away. I am just seeing if anybody has any tricks for such a patch.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #8

Yes we have stuccoed over Straw Bale construction here in the northwest on a few occasions, all residential structures. We won't apply stucco direct to the straw bales however, we will wire lath both the exterior & interior at the same time by running/inserting tie wire rods through the bales connecting the wire on the exterior to the wire on the interior, we then apply a scratch/broom coat, let cure and then follow up with a second/brown coat, the brown coat can become the finished application or one can follow up with a colored textured application. Rastra Block/FasWall/Apex construction took over for the most part as the chosen building process over straw bale construction, we have applied stucco/plaster direct onto these systems as one is guaranteed a correct adhesion to such a surface, we still like to do a keycoat of modified cement with fiberglass mesh embedded over these systems and offer it as an upgrade due to the weather conditions here in the northwest.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
We do a lot of integral color plastering of various types also. I can generally match a wall patch. But blending in a patch in the middle of a ceiling with a lot of light across it seems to evade me. Even when you get the color matched, the sheen difference along the edge of the patch can give the repair away. I am just seeing if anybody has any tricks for such a patch.
I don't quite understand what you are saying, you can match/blend a wall patch/repair with colored plaster but not a ceiling patch/repair because of the light across the ceiling, what if there was a lot of light being broadcast on the wall that needed repairing would it then be difficult to match/blend the repair?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #10

Quote:
I don't quite understand what you are saying, you can match/blend a wall patch/repair with colored plaster but not a ceiling patch/repair because of the light across the ceiling, what if there was a lot of light being broadcast on the wall that needed repairing would it then be difficult to match/blend the repair?
If the wall has a lot of light from a source that is nearly parallel to the direction of the wall, and it has very little on it to break up the light, then it would be a problem too. But if a faux repair is pretty close on a wall it doesn't seem to show as bad. If the same patch is done on a ceiling in the same manner, it often looks noticeable.