HELP! The entire skim on wallpaper fell off - 100 year old plaster - Plaster Forum - Drywall Talk

HELP! The entire skim on wallpaper fell off - 100 year old plaster

Old 01-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor

HELP! The entire skim on wallpaper fell off - 100 year old plaster

Hi! SEE PICS! So my brother and I started a project in an 1899 home in the stairwell. Obviously we didn't know what we would see once we started and unfortunately, this happened. The entire skip troweled skim came off. Someone had not removed the wallpaper first!

We have demoed all the loose plaster and skim, v'd out the cracks and we are ready to patch. It has been patched before in some areas with plaster of paris.

I don't know what would be best moving forward on this brown paper backing and glue. I did a test with plasterweld and a light skim and it bubbled. Not sure if it will settle as it dries and doesn't seem like the best method at this point. I do not want to put someone else in my position in so many years, etc! Do I oil prime, shellac, remove the wallpaper backing glue and then prime?

Also, any advice on the ceiling. No brown paper, but failed skim. The plaster is loose in some areas (no big holes), but not terrible or ready to fall down and I plan to put in washers. I have seen some people leave the washers in and mud over, and some who take the washers out after the glue dries. So many conflicting methods! Fun Fun Fun.

Any help would be awesome. I have patched and repaired plaster, but never dealt with wallpaper issues.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
HELP! The entire skim on wallpaper fell off - 100 year old plaster-img_6319.jpg   HELP! The entire skim on wallpaper fell off - 100 year old plaster-img_6317.jpg   HELP! The entire skim on wallpaper fell off - 100 year old plaster-img_6327.jpg   HELP! The entire skim on wallpaper fell off - 100 year old plaster-img_6294.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #2

Trade: Drywall and decorating
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,610 Posts

Re: HELP! The entire skim on wallpaper fell off - 100 year old plaster

Looks like you have a battle on your hands and yes many ways to try and fix that only experimentation will answer.

The homeowners have to understand the age and issues involved here, Also the costs.

I would get a garden pump pressure weed sprayer, And wallpaper stripper called dif, Then spray the walls over and over to try and loosen and remove as much wallpaper as you can and remove loose plaster, Then pigmented seal the lot with paint, Then a plaster of worst hollows to try and get things kinda flatter, Then you going to have to get the big rolls of fibafuse, And mud that onto all the wall to try and hold it all together and keep skimming that up until your happy enough to paint it.

I have heard of using wallpaper glue, Rolling the wall then sticking the wide rolls of fibafuse on like that, Then skimming, That may work and save some time but i dont know, Never tryed it, Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cazna For This Useful Post:
Nick Harmon (03-21-2017), PainterLiz (01-24-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

Trade: journeyman Plasterer

Chip up the surface with a hatchet, keep the chips in a tight pattern,and just deep enough to get through the brown paper and into the cement. This will allow your first coat of Dura bond to go lock everything on. Then one or two coats of Dura bond, followed by one or two coats of topping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Brightstar For This Useful Post:
Nick Harmon (03-21-2017), PainterLiz (01-24-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #4

We did a bunch of old houses years ago in that shape. Found the studs, chipped off the loose plaster, and hung 3/8" right over it. It works well, and a lot faster.Also routered around the trim and flat taped it.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

Trade: drywall

Demo it all and start over? Check for asbestos, obviously.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #6

Trade: Drywall
Thanked 1,302 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo_alley_revisited View Post
Demo it all and start over? Check for asbestos, obviously.
This^
Don't use lath and plaster use drywall. Something worth doing is worth doing right.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #7

Trade: journeyman Plasterer

Yeah, if you don't know what you're doing, best to rip it out and hang board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #8

Trade: Drywall contractor

Yep rip it out or hang over if possible. The property owner probably wants to keep the "historical significance" of plaster I bet lol. If you can't do those things then key up the plaster, skim with durabond, put fibafuse over whole surface, then 2 skim coats of all purpose over it. Real pain.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #9

Trade: drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinisher View Post
Yep rip it out or hang over if possible. The property owner probably wants to keep the "historical significance" of plaster I bet lol. If you can't do those things then key up the plaster, skim with durabond, put fibafuse over whole surface, then 2 skim coats of all purpose over it.
Then wait 5 years and demo it.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #10

Trade: Drywall contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo_alley_revisited View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinisher View Post
Yep rip it out or hang over if possible. The property owner probably wants to keep the "historical significance" of plaster I bet lol. If you can't do those things then key up the plaster, skim with durabond, put fibafuse over whole surface, then 2 skim coats of all purpose over it.
Then wait 5 years and demo it.
Yep. Plaster sucks. People can say all they want about plaster being great and lasting forever but it really doesn't.